Now Vs. Then - Adoption And Foster Care Essay Based On The Book Orphan Train

Rosa Rodriguez

Teacher

English 12.6

25 February 2020

Now Vs. Then - Adoption And Foster Care

How many children in the United States are in foster care and How Many kids in the United States are adopted each year? On any given day, there are nearly 443,000 children in foster care. About 135,000 children are adopted each year. I am going to write about the process of adoption and foster placement from then vs now. The then for then vs now is for when the book Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline takes place which is between the years 1854-1929.

The first thing that I am writing about is the process of adopting a child in the United States. There are only ten steps that are included in this process including you as a parent adopting a child. The steps include learning how to adopt a baby or select the type of adoption that is right for you, research the costs of adopting a baby, choose an adoption professional, work with your adoption professional, complete your home study, find a birth mother, prepare for your baby, birth of your baby, bring home your baby and petition to adopt your baby, and then the last step finalize the adoption of your baby. Although these are the steps included in going through with this process some of the steps depend on what you want to do. So depending on the way you choose to adopt may affect what steps you happen to follow.

The second thing that I am writing about is the process of foster care placement for a child in the United States. There are two steps involved in this process but each of these two steps have things that you must follow. These steps included in the process of foster care placement are potential placement process and post placement. The first step includes eight different questions or steps that must be followed before the next step is taken. The second step also has eight different steps and rules that must be followed.

I am going to write about the process of adoption and foster placement from then vs now. The then for then vs now is for when the book Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline takes place which is between the years 1854-1929. If a person can adopt or be a foster care parent, they can have the ability to completely change a child's life. I propose that more people should try to adopt or be a foster care person to a child at some point in their life, or if they would like to have something to do with one or both of these things their whole life would be great.

I thought the book was amazing at first and interesting but it had just gone downhill from there. After reading the book completely I don't really like it anymore, and no longer hold the same fascination that I had began with when first starting out. I know that this book would be someone's favorite and they could read it more than once, but I will probably never read this book again. Even though I might never read this book again I might recommend it to someone but that might depend on the circumstances and questions asked. Also now that I finished the book a while ago, completed different things to do with it, and know the general idea of what the book is about, I probably can't tell you any specifics my brain is now fried and can't think and is now forgetting anything to do with this project.

Works Cited

"Adopt a Baby: The Adoption Process in 10 Simple Steps." Adoption Network, adoptionnetwork.com/how-to-adopt-a-baby/adoption-process. Accessed 26 Feb. 2020.

DeVere, Chris. "The Foster Care Placement Process." Families For Children - Adoption Agency & Foster Care Resource Family Agency, Foster to Adoption Services and Home Studies in Sacramento, Fairfield, Walnut Creek, El Dorado Hills and Roseville California, www.families4children.com/fc_placement.cfm. Accessed 26 Feb. 2020.

"Foster Care." Children's Rights, 22 Aug. 2014, www.childrensrights.org/newsroom/fact-sheets/foster-care/. Accessed 25 Feb. 2020.

Kline, Christina B. Orphan Train: A Novel. HarperCollins, 2013.

"US Adoption Statistics." Adoption Network, adoptionnetwork.com/adoption-statistics. Accessed 25 Feb. 2020.