The 3 C's (ASL) Reflection Paper

Rosa Rodriguez

Teacher

Numbers & Finger Spelling

Friday, January 22nd, 2021

My Reflection Paper (The Three C's)

I know that finger spelling is just one of the many ways ASL users can use to communicate with others. For fingerspelling you need to learn how to effectively produce the letters of the alphabet and then you just spell out the words using ASL. I know that finger spelling is just as the name suggests is used to fingerspell things an example is names, and they could be names for people or other things such as titles or the name of a place. I know that fingerspelling also varies depending on where you are as those places might have their own language and alphabet, so because of that their fingerspelling would or might be different from ours. The three c's are configuration, closure, and context. Configuration is basically the shape you make and how fluidly you do it. Closure is when you happen to miss something, here is an example, you happen to miss the middle letters but you caught the beginning and the end ones based off of that you can most likely guess what the letter or fingerspelled word was. Context I am guessing means sometimes words have multiple meanings so depending on what you are talking about you can guess what context the word is being used in, this can also be done with certain phrases. I also know that if you are right-handed then you sign with your right hand and you go from you out away from yourself, same as if you are left-handed only on the left side or with your left. Another interesting thing is that when you are signing words that contain a z in the middle you would do this, you would start signing your word at about shoulder height then you would sign the z in the word and it kind of drops down you don't go back up to your previous height you started signing at you would stay where the z ended and go from that new height. After you practice fingerspelling for a while (it takes a while – that depends on the person) where it will get easier for you to do but you still will run into challenges even if you are basically fluent, just starting out or whatever you will always have challenges. Overall I am excited to learn more I look forward to what the future will bring.