My Critical Analysis Essay For "To Kill A Mockingbird" By: Harper Lee

Rosa Rodriguez

teacher

class

8th March 2019

My Critical Analysis Essay For "To Kill A Mockingbird" By: Harper Lee

Did You know that segregation was outlawed in 1954 by the Supreme Court in the case called Brown v. Board of Education. The book takes place in the town of Maycomb, during the time of the Great Depression. Scout is a smart girl who is about eight years old. She is raised with her brother, Jem, by their father, Atticus. He is a lawyer, and tells his children to be empathetic and just. He also tells them that it is "a sin to kill a ," saying that the birds are innocent and harmless. Tom Robinson, is accused of Mayella Ewell, Atticus agrees to represent him despite threats from others. At one time he stands up to a mob intent on hurting his client but refuses to leve him. Scout diffuses the situation between them. Atticus presents a good defense that Mayella was attacked by her father, Bob Ewell, but Tom is still convicted, and he is later killed while trying to escape custody by being shot in the back many times. Boo makes his presence known through a different acts, finally interupting when Bob Ewell attacks Jem and Scout. Boo killed Ewell, but Heck Tate who was the sheriff, believes it is better to say that Ewell's death was when he had fell on his own knife. Segregation caused many conflicts throughout history, and in the book To Kill A Mockingbird the church, the court house, and at school.

First of all one of the mentions of segregation is the church. At the church some white people were brought to the black's church, and they were asking questions about why they were there. "I wants to know why you bringin' white chillun to nigger church" (Lee #). It goes on to them explaining why they are there at the black's church. The blacks ask some more questions but they are not thrown out where as if blacks had went into a white people church they would have been thrown out.

Second of all was school. The blacks and whites didn't go to the same school as each other. The whites went to school where they had teachers and earned a real education, the blacks didn't go to school because they weren't allowed to. The blacks were basically homeschooled at their houses and learned as best they could while the whites went to the real schools that had teachers who taught them what they needed to know.

Lastly there was the mention of segregation at the courthouse during Tom Robinson's trial. The blacks and whites were not allowed to sit by each other so they were seperated. The whites at on/at the floor balcony, but the blacks sat up in the balcony higher up. The only time the two races sat together was the two kids who wanted to watch the trail and they were white but there was no room down where the others of their races were so they sat up with the blacks near their minister.

Even though most people don't discriminated against blacks anymore, there are still the few people who still do so. The people who do still discriminate probably don't do it as it was done back then but they still do it just in less subtle ways that are less harsh. In the book To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee, she helps us show some of the ways that people still discriminate against the blacks even though they live amongst us freely such as, in the church, the court house, and even the schools. Today there are even less discrimination against blacks but it still happens, it might not happen here but it happens somewhere else.

"Works Cited"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"To Kill a Mockingbird." Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 19 Feb. 2019, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Kill_a_Mockingbird.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Staff, EasyBib. "The Free Automatic Bibliography Composer." EasyBib, Chegg, 1 Jan. 2019, www.easybib.com/style.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Foca, Anna, and Laura Fine. "To Kill a Mockingbird." Encyclopædia Britannica, Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc., 14 Dec. 2018, www.britannica.com/topic/To-Kill-a-Mockingbird.