Babysitting

"Look who's late.." Hank laughed a bit as he saw the RK800 dashed to his desk.

"Some protesters slowed me down.." Connor sighed loudly as sat down on his office chair. "Sorry.."

"Wait, what? Were you hurt?" The lieutenant seemed to worry about it.

The Android shook his head. "I'm fine, some attacked me but I dodged them"

Hank nodded. "Okay good. I don't have the luxury to bring you to an Android hospital to fix you."

The RK800 looked around the busy establishment, but Detective Reed's desk caught his attention. Connor saw a little blonde girl. Around at the age of two or four, sitting on Gavin's chair. Focused on a sheet of paper that's currently filled with crayon scribbles made by her small hands.

"Hank is that Gavin's daughter..?" Connor asked.

"Yeah, forgot to tell you." The lieutenant answered. "He brought her here because no one's available to take care of her."

"What about Conan? I know he takes care of her often." The RK800 said.

"They're working on a big case recently, so they have to work together," Anderson replied.

"I see.." the Android went back to his work. Making sure to finish some paperwork he left the last time.

Shortly after, Reed came back as the little girl came running to welcome her father. Connor took glances of the two, and he saw the other side of Gavin that is entirely new for him.

"First time seeing him like that?" Conan suddenly spoke as the RK800 was startled.

"Y-yeah.. " he replied. "What about her mother..?"

The RK900 sighed loudly. "It'll be much better if we don't talk about that... It's complicated."

"ConCon!" the girl ran to Conan and hugged him tightly.

"Hey.." the Android carried her and faced the child to the RK800. "This is Jane... Jane, this is Connor."

Connor waved hi to greet her. But she shyly waved back. The older Android smiled softly but the child quickly looked away.

"She's just shy.." The RK900 chuckled. "Cmon, let's talk to your father."

The smaller brunet watched them walked away. Lieutenant Anderson cleared his throat to get Connor's attention. Which it did work.

"You alright? You've been staring at them for quite some time." Hank added. "You're like a fucking creep."

"My apologies." The Android answered back. "I was just confused about how did Detective Reed had a daughter even if he wasn't married."

"Shit happens, Connor.." the lieutenant sighed loudly. 

The RK800 nodded slowly and went back to work. He can hear the two arguing about who'll watch over the child while they're gone. Gavin was not content on just leaving her in his desk, alone. While Conan was suggesting that the detective should bring the girl instead, and the smaller brunet doesn't agree with that as well.

To Connor's surprise, Reed approached him suddenly. Scratching his head. "Hey, Connor? Can I ask you a favor?"

"What is it, Detective?" The machine turned to him.

"Can you babysit Jane while Conan and I are out?" He asked. "If it's okay with you, of course.."

"No problem." The brunet smiled happily. "After all, I don't have crime scenes to check out."

"You're a fucking lifesaver." Gavin grinned. "Thanks, Tin-can. And don't worry, she's really sweet... And I bet she'll love you."

Conan mouthed a 'Goodluck' at Connor at the back. He didn't know why his brother would say that. But the RK800 looked confident on what task he was just assigned to.

Gavin talked to his daughter before bring her to the brown-eyed Android. He bent down to her level and smiled softly. "Be a good girl, okay? Uncle Connor will be taking care of you for now."

"Uncle Connor..?" The RK800 cocked his head confusedly.

"Conan's like your younger brother, right? You get my point." The detective turned to him. "Oh, by the way... Jane likes to scribble like a lot... So just bring her some paper and crayons, she'll be fine."

"Anything else, Detective?" Connor asked.

"If she's hungry, you feed her. Don't give her sweets as much as possible." Gavin added. "She'll be a bit shy at first but don't worry. She'll warm up soon."

He nodded slowly and looked at the little girl. Which made her hide behind her father's legs. The male spoke to the child once more before leaving her with Connor. A weird silence was between the two. Hank looked over and shook his head.

The RK800 would try to talk to the girl but she'll just look away and won't reply back. He gave her some papers and crayons. She took them and that's the last interaction Connor got from her.

"Are you hungry? Do you want to eat something?" The Android asked softly. But the child shook her head in return, going back to scribbling on the paper using a red crayon.

"I noticed you always draw with that color, is that your favorite?" He said again, and it earned him a nod from Jane.

"Having a hard time?" Hank checked upon them.

"I don't understand, kids often like me.." Connor answered the lieutenant.

"Kids are different, Con." The old man chuckled. "They will hate you for no reason at all."

The RK800 nodded slowly and made a deep, long tired sigh. He glanced at the little girl. The child was way too focused on scribbling, but she felt the android looking at her. He now knew why his brother mouthed a Goodluck to him, Jane was a hard child to warm up with. Only the RK900 or Gavin was able to get to take care of her at ease.

Connor tried his very best to talk to and ask her simple things like what's her favorite food or whatnot. But Jane will only shrug at him and go back to what she's doing. He didn't know what to do, so he contacted his brother Conan for help. 

"Need help on something?" Conan asked over the line. "Gavin and I are still at the crime scene, pretty fucked up. So, we'll be here a bit longer."

"Jane isn't talking to me," Connor confessed. "She just nods and shrugs when I ask her. Did I did something wrong?" 

The RK900 chuckles at the other line. Which made the older brother confused. "Why don't you bring her to her favorite park? I'll send you the location. Grab her something to eat, like some ice-cream. Specifically, vanilla flavored."

"Thanks, Conan." The RK800 hanged up and looked at Jane once more. He saw the Lieutenant talking to the child, which Jane seemed to like the old man. Connor took notice of the clover necklace the girl was wearing, it seemed pretty important that a little girl was wearing it. He chatted with Hank about his plan that Conan suggested, which the old man liked the idea and agreed. 

***

Connor brought her to the ice-cream parlor near the park. Unfortunately, he cannot eat but the android can see the blonde girl was enjoying the vanilla dessert. Jane starts to chat a little, she answers the RK800's simple questions and was really enthusiastic about it. 

They walked around the park, and Jane saw the playground and pointed at it. He lets the girl play around but she held Connor's hand and requested to play with her. 

"No, Jane. I'll watch you here." Connor shook his head.

"Please?" Jane pleaded with her cute puppy eyes to make the android agree. He can't say no with that face, so the brunet stood up while sighing loudly. 

Conan was told that they're at the park. So the two officers went there and saw Connor pushing Gavin's daughter on a swing. Detective Reed just watched and smiled softly.

-----------------

A/N

I updated okay? But yes, a little bit different. But am allowed to post whatever I want right? XD So, I was planning on putting this up on AO3. Thoughts?

Thanks for the 12k reads and 700 votes! This was such a wild ride, I thought no one will read this ever- but eY I'm here xD