Sacrifice

Summary: Lily Luna Potter noticed that her father and her Aunt Hermione weren't as close as they were supposed to. She heard tales of their strong friendship but it seemed to fade. Later in life, she discovered the reason why she was named after her Aunt Luna instead. There could never be another Hermione - a truth she subconsciously knew - but there was a deeper reason to her name...

Rating: T

_________________

SACRIFICE

By: tweety-src-clt9

"Mum?" Fourteen-year-old Lily Luna Potter turned to her mother.

"Yes, sweetie?"

"Aunt Hermione is daddy's best friend, right?"

"Yes, that's right," Ginny nodded.

"But... why – I mean they hardly ever talk? Also, they don't touch each other. They avoid it as much as possible, Dad more so than Auntie... It's weird. Did they fight or something? Dad and Uncle Ron are okay. But Aunt Hermione and Daddy, I don't know," Lily Luna shrugged.

Ginny sighed. She knew that out of all her children, her only daughter would be the one to ask this question. Lily Luna may look like the young Ginny Weasley, but her astuteness, well it resembled Hermione Granger's.

"Well... you know how Aunt Hermione is the Minister for Magic, right?" Ginny started to explain and her daughter nodded. "Well, they want to act professionally, set a good example at the ministry... Hmmm... How can I explain this better? Ah! Yes! Let me put it this way... Your dad is the Head Auror and Aunt Hermione is his boss. So, they have to be formal and everything," Ginny continued her explanation.

"I – I don't understand. Scorpius and Rose are in love but they work together too. They're not awkward," Lily Luna's brow furrowed in confusion.

"Well your aunt and daddy are in a different situation," Ginny couldn't think of anything else to say.

"Different how?"

"You should go to sleep, sweetie. It's late," Ginny kissed her daughter's forehead and lovingly tucked her in.

"Mum?

"Yes, sweetie?"

"Why is my name Lily Luna? I mean Auntie Luna's cool and all – but shouldn't I be Lily Hermione instead? I mean, you did say that Aunt Hermione is daddy's best friend," this was said with genuine confusion, innocence, and curiosity.

"Your daddy wanted your name to be simple, sweetie," Ginny fibbed. It's more like your daddy never wants another Hermione to exist because the original is just so irreplaceable, she thought sadly.

"Oh... Well, Aunt Hermione's name is rather difficult to say I suppose," Lily Luna chuckled.

"Good night, Lily."

"Good night, mum."

oOOOOo

Harry Potter sat behind the lord's desk in the secret study by the library of 12 Grimmauld Place. He sighed. He had everything that he could ever want in life. He had a family – a loving wife and three crazy kids. He had a stable job to provide for all their needs and wants. Plus, he had a lot of friends.

Everything he wished for when he was a scrawny little boy in the cupboard under the stairs came true. He should be contented and happy. Instead, he was exhausted and uneasy.

In the darkness of the night, with the moon shining up above and the house was fast asleep, he was given the chance to be honest with himself.

He pulled the handle of a hidden drawer on his desk. This desk was so heavily enchanted that no one else could see the drawers but himself. This study was his sanctuary. In this place, he could be himself even if it's just in the wee hours of the night.