The Hottest Jack-o-Lantern

Summary:

Best Smut Winner for H&Co's Halloween Writing Challenge. Runner-up for Comedy Genius. Harry Potter and Hermione Granger have a lot of Halloween Traditions together as the best of friends. A birthday dare and a Jack-o-lantern finally opens Harry's eyes to understand the truth about his feelings for Hermione in the most unexpected way.

Rating: M

__________________________

Once upon a time, in Wizarding Britain, a Jack-o-Lantern opens Harry Potter's eyes to a truth that's been there all along...

September 19, 2004

It's been a fun-filled birthday...

She woke up to a sunny morning and her best friend, Harry Potter, sent his present via owl post with a promise to have a post-celebration once he gets back. Being a Hit Wizard for the International Confederation of Wizards, he goes away on missions from time to time.

Since the war ended, Harry tried to up his game as her best friend. He says he realized that throughout Hogwarts, he never gave any effort during her birthdays. So, since Voldemort is out of his life for good, he always gives her the best birthday presents to compensate for the many years he claims to have missed out. This year, he gave her a first edition copy of Hector Dagworth-Granger's rare book on potions making. She thought that it was very sweet of him. The book appeals to her inner nerd. More importantly, the fact that it was written by someone who shares her last name, made it even more special.

Her other best friend, Ronald Weasley, being the lovable idiot that he is, also sent out his present despite being away with his Quidditch team, the Chudley Cannons. He got her the latest edition of Hogwarts: A History, something that she already has in her rather large book collection. But well, it's the thought that counts.

During lunch, she spent quality time with her mum and dad. Her mum cooked her favorite dishes and she just enjoyed basking in her parents' company. Three years after the war, with Harry's help from his connections at the ICW, she finally restored her parents' memories. She could never have done it without his help. That is the greatest gift Harry had ever given her. Along with the many years of his friendship, of course.

Now, here she is...

It was night time. This is the last part of her birthday celebration. Quality time spent with her girls...

Hermione Granger had her arms extended as she tries to get a feel of where her best female friends are taking her. Ginny placed a blindfold on her as soon as she arrived at their supposed meeting place. She should have known that her friends would prepare something for her. It is her twenty-fifth birthday after all. She only hoped that whatever surprise they have prepared, it would not be so outrageous.

Ever since the war ended, she became very close to Ginny Weasley, Luna Lovegood, Lavender Brown, Parvati and Padma Patil, Susan Bones, Hannah Abbot, and Fleur Delacour-Weasley. They all ended up being a solid group of friends since their lives got entangled together because of work, the men they dated, and common interests.

When Ginny celebrated her 20th birthday a few years ago, their entire group gave her one dare. After that, all members of their gang will do a single dare as a commemoration of the new chapter in their lives.

Sometimes, the dare would invoke them to conquer a milestone at work. Sometimes, it would be a dare to finally ask the man they have been crushing on for a date. However, the worst type of dares is sexy dares...

Last year, her dare was for her to finally tell off her boss to shut the fuck up and to get his act together. While she was apprehensive at first, it turned out to be beneficial for her career. The Department for the Care and Regulation of Magical Creatures is now more streamlined in terms of processes, employees are now genuinely concerned about magical creatures, and their boss now understands the importance of meritocracy. Because of that, she recently got promoted this year and she is now the third-in-command.