Short and Sweet

Rating: G

Summary: For Hermione Granger, life after Voldemort was still absolutely horrible. It all changes when days before Christmas, a secret admirer keeps sending her short and sweet notes.

_____________________________________________________

SHORT AND SWEET

By: tweety-src-clt9

13th December 2004

"What the – " Hermione exclaimed. The sleepiness was immediately gone as she almost stumbled on the beautiful crystal vase filled with red and white roses left in front of her bedroom door.

She was prepared to face another tedious day at the ministry, surviving the horrible years of her life post-Voldemort. While most people have slowly moved on from the aftereffects of the Second Blood War, Hermione Granger's life seemed to have taken a turn for the worse.

First, it took her three years to restore her parents' memories. While that, in itself, is already a miracle, the timing was way off since her mother was already severely sick during their reunion. Long story short, her mother died just barely a month after their poignant reunion. Just thinking about her beloved mother still made her cry every now and then.

Second, her father was very bitter about the wizarding world. So, she was forced to balance between the two facets of herself, the mundane and the magical. This of course led to her third problem.

Her father was adamant that she married a non-magical so he introduced her to the sons of his colleagues. She actually got together with a decent bloke, Todd. She thought Todd had it all. He was smart, driven, responsible, and they had a lot in common. She truly thought Todd was the one until it all came crashing down.

Six months ago, her father's car got hit by a truck since the driver was pissed drunk. Richard Granger never even made it to the hospital. He was dead on the spot.

As if losing both her parents wasn't enough, another bomb smacked her on the face. When her father's will was read, it discussed that all his shares to the Granger Dental Practice be liquidated into cash so that she can save the money for something else. While that was a smart move from her very financially savvy dad, her boyfriend was furious. Todd wanted to inherit the Granger Dental Practice upon marrying her so he could make use of the prominent Granger name to attract clients since he too was a dentist. When it became clear that Todd would never get a hold of the practice, he dumped her.

Hermione sighed as her mind returned to the present. She bent down and carried the crystal vase to the tiny living room in her flat. Setting the vase down, she noticed a small emerald green envelope inserted between the beautiful roses. Curious as to how this gift got into her flat, she picked up the envelope.

Her brows furrowed in confusion as she read the very short note.

Brightly in my life

Your natural beauty shines

My Hermione.

"Brightly in my life, your natural beauty shines, my Hermione," she muttered as she flipped the note back and forth. There was nothing else. Just those words that were oddly separated into three lines. The handwriting was not familiar since it was a very elegant cursive, almost as if printed from a computer.

Despite the mystery behind the flowers and the note, she felt that it was safe. Not only was her flat guided by the strongest intent wards, making certain that only those of goodwill can enter, but there was also something about those few words. It reminded her of someone. She just couldn't figure out who yet.