Exploring the Web

Part 1: 

Website #1: (Drug Enforcement Administration)

I started off at the home part of the website. I then clicked on the Drug Info tab towards the top. From there I clicked on Bath Salts. The website sets up the information on What it is, How it is taken, Street names, How it effects Body, and Paraphernalia. I really like it because if students want to read more or want to read about a very similar drug, there are links at very bottom of that page. It is also good to look at the options for students to know what the effects are, as well as the potential for what students could here Bath Salt being called.

2. I went to the Fact and Stat tab. I scrolled down the Youth Drug Use is Down. I liked the article because it shows students that drugs are not actually as "cool" as people or classmates might make drugs out to be. It has an article with background information as well as giving proper citations/links and gives students the visual of drug use going down. It shows how little youth do different drugs. The article gives a few different graphs. One shows overall decline of drug use while the other one plots different drugs going on the decline.

3. The last thing I went to, I went to the consequences tab. I scrolled down a bit to the article How Drugs Effect Your Family. There is two different areas of the effect that happen within the family after the child gets into drugs. The first part that is talked about to the students is how drugs effect the family financially. Like when they get addicted they are at least tempted to steal money from their parents or credit cards. Parents might have to wipe out college fund or sell things to pay for the students treatment to recover. There is also hurts the students relationship with their family. Students would rather do drugs rather than hang out with family or friends. Nobody can count on you anymore. People addicted to drugs tend to harm family physically or verbally.

Website #2: (Iowa Department of Public Health)

1. I went to the Alcohol tab on the home page. I went to Help Family and Friends tab. It provides student the right resources to seek out assistance for those they deeply care about that use and/or abuse alcohol. There are different types of resources for different topics. There was a resource for the children that grew up around addiction or alcoholics. There were links for students to look at for those who have parents dealing with addiction to alcohol or even know teens addicted and are looking for help.

2.Next thing I went to was the Drugs tab. Under the drugs tab I clicked on the Warning Part. It discusses what students can look out for when it comes to someone starting to use drugs. For example someone they know can experience memory loss or blackouts. There is also when drug-use turns in an addiction. Some warning sign examples that could be taught to students is things like the person giving up on their favorite actives, they conceal drug use as well as making excuses, and they want to quit no matter their repeated attempts.

3. I went back to the Alcohol tab on the home page. At the top of the page and went to the orange strip that is talking about alcohol. Went to the Health and Wellness Tab and went to a subcategory called Avoid Risks. It talks about a safe ways to drink. It gives a bit of a chart for easily testable things, like gender and how many you should drink/week to consider a low risk for issues for risks.

Part 2: 

Provide 2 specific examples from the video that connect with the definition of health. State the examples and which part of the definition it connects with.

1. 21st century skill that must be practiced and practice makes perfect. Practicing good health skills can improve mental, social, and physical wellbeing. Practicing the physical in gym class. Practicing social, mental, and physical by letting students unwind, play games with their peers.

2. Teach the students the information to improve their skills and attitudes to create healthy kids/behaviors. Otherwise known as Knowledge + attitudes + skills= Healthy behaviors

Provide 2 specific examples from the video that connect to any two of the Characteristics of Effective Health Education Curriculum. State the examples and identify in full which Characteristic it connects with.

1. Provide opportunities to reinforce skills and positive health Classes. He talks about how it should be taught more in the curriculum than one middle school class. And Should be taught in every subject

2.Adiquite time for instruction and learning. Goes with the previous idea. Health should e taught more than in one class in middle school and should be taught across all subjects.

Provide 2 specific examples from the video that connect to the National Health Education Standards. State the examples and identify in full the Standard it connects with.

1. Standard 6: goal-setting skills. In the video he talks about setting a goal. Setting a goal, they get better grades, are healthier, and get better jobs.

2. Standard 3: Access Information. Teach students on how to learn about the un healthy parts of junk foods.