Children's Literature Book Reviews

Book Reviews/Talk

Little Bear by Else Holmelund Minarik: What will Little Bear Wear

Style and Language:4;Characters:4;Plot:4;Theme:4

Theme: You do not have to hide who you really are.

Story:Little Bear really wants to go outside and play but since it is winter it is cold outside. Little Bear goes to his mom for a hat first, then a coat, then snow pants, then he realizes that his fur coat works just fine. The only weird part is the illustrations in the story shows that Mama Bear was doing a lot of work with no help whatsoever. Other than the illustrations it is an cute book.

Little Bear by Else Holmelund Minarik: Birthday Soup

Style and Language:4;Characters:4;Plot:4;Theme:4

Theme: Don't let your hopes down just because you do not see what you're looking for.

Story: When Little Bear gets up in the morning he realises that his mom is not there on top of the fact that he is supposed to have friends over for his birthday. He worries that there isn't going to be anything for his friends to eat so he makes soup. His mom finally comes home when they are finishing up eating the soup with a birthday cake for Little Bear. It is a cute book and would probably read to students due to it shows that if something/someone is not there that you can do anything if you put your mind to it.

Little Bear by Else Holmelund Minarik: Little Bear goes to the Moon

Style and Language:3; Characters:4; Plot:4; Theme:4

Theme: Even if some dreams are hard to achieve, someone will support you.

Story: The story was really cute. THe only issue I had was the fact that when Momma Bear and Little Bear would talk back and forth that there was Momma bear said and Little Bear said. It felt very almost disruptive because it was just 2 people and didn't need constant Momma Bear said and Little bear said. The overall story was really cute because of the fact that Little Bear "went" to the moon and that Momma Bear let him have fun as well playing with his imagination.

Little Bear by Else Holmelund Minarik:Little Bear makes a wish:

Style and Language:4; Characters:4; Plot:4; Theme:4

Theme: You can wish but not every wish can be done.

Story: There was use of the Mother Bear said and Little BEar said which was not as annoying as the last time because both characters has lot longer sentences/quotes unlike some of the other Little Bear Stories. Also what was a little confusing was in one of the illustration was a different colour than what the story said it was; the story said the car was red but in the illustration it looked black. But it was a cute storyline because in the story, Little Bear was making some wish to do/go somewhere what maybe difficult to do like driving a red car fast and coming across a castle. Each thing he says at the beginning Momma said that is difficult to do. At the end Momma Bear tell Little Bear about all of what he has done in the previous 3 books.

Aria's First Day of School. By: Alicia Ellison

Style and Language:5; Characters:5; Plot:5; Theme:5

Theme:You can do anything no matter the obstacles.

Story: The book that goes through Aria's 1st day at school. It is based on a true story. The book shows a little bit of an inside view on someone's day to day life especially in the morning before doing anything as well as some one the things that they go through during a school day.