The Tank Man QnA

1) What happened during the Tank man's ordeal?

a. He ran and stood in front of the tanks. When the tanks would try to move he would move back in front of the tanks. Did it a few times. Tanks turned off and the guy got on top. He got off and got in front of the tanks again.

2) What did they mean by clear the Square by dawn?

a. The orders the Chinese army were given to stop the protests by dawn. They were told to use any force necessary. Lethal force was what the army went with the majority of the time.

3) Who was being shot at by the army?

a. During the peaceful protests, the army was shooting at any one and everyone. They did not care who the person was they were just shooting into the crowd.

4) What was the Public Security Bureau?

a. The Public Security Bureau pretty much protected the square. They wanted to make sure that the people were in control and if they were caught recording or photographs in the square they would get rid of the evidence.

5) What was the importance of Education?

a. It was originally free for all children. Now education is very low. It is very unequal system. One of the two main bench mark for advancements and progress of a Society at Large. Within the last 20 years though it has collapsed. There is an array of fees for schooling, like book and heating/cooling fees.

6) How did the government fix the education system?

a. In March 2006 they decided to remedy the situation by injecting a further $5 billion into the rural economy.

7) Why did factories like hiring younger people?

a. Younger people tended to be fresher and be able to work faster. They were also tended to be more energetic. Younger people usually are strong, healthy, and fit.

8) What were some of the issues for Chinese factory workers?

a. They are way underpaid for the amount o f work. They do not have vacation or sick days. If they do there is very little breaks. They work long hours to the point where they become sleep deprived and cause accidents. The accidents usually are loss of fingers and/or limbs because the people are sleep deprived and fall asleep at the machines. They also will breathe in toxic air.

9) Why are peasants being killed or beaten/injured?

a. They were standing up for themselves. They were standing up against the power companies that were trying to take over their land.

10) What was the importance of showing the current (at that time) the photo of the Tank Man?

a. To show how China wants to hide some of their past like uprisings. The students proved that they were taught a limited amount of history.