Pulp Fiction Movie Review

1. Identify the film's director, screenwriter, and year of production.(You can find information on films easily by looking at )

Director: Quentin Tarantino. Screen Writer: Rodger Avery and Quentin Tarantino. Year of Production: 1994

2. The film is divided into 3 vignettes. Who was the protagonist of each story and what actor portrayed these characters? 

1) Vincent Vega & Marcellus Wallace's Wife: Vincent Vega was/is the protagonist played by John Travolta.

2) The Gold Watch: Butch was/is the protagonist played by Bruce Willis.

3) The Bonnie Situation: Jules Winnfield was/is the protagonist played by Samuel L. Jackson.

3. Identify the focus of this film (pp. 18-26), and explain your choice using at least 2 specific examples from the film

Moral Implications is a Main focus of Pulp Fiction. One scene is where Jules freaks out on Vincent because Vincent accidently shoots a kid in the head while they were on a main road leaving the kids house. Jules understood the moral implications as well as the repercussions of the kids death. Another is when Butch is done with the fight and runs away from it as quick as possible because he could not deal with the fact that he had killed a man and did not want to deal with it on his consciousness anymore

4. What is the theme of the film? A theme is stated as a complete sentence; it needs to be more than one word or topic. Justify your theme using at least 2 examples from the film 

Violence only fixes issues but bring on other unnecessary issues and moral complications. One issue was Butch was running from some people because he had killed a man. At some point ended up running into Marcellus and literally ran him over (or attempt to) kill Marcellus. It ended up with Marcellus and Butch being held hostage. Another is after the kid's head is blown off. While Jules and Vincent are at Jimmy's house trying to figure out what to do about the body and the car, Jules then decided not to do crime anymore because there were to many things to be careful off and taking a toll on his moral sense of life.

5. Does the film appeal most to the intellect, to the funny bone, to the moral sense, or to the aesthetic sense? Explain using at least 2 specific examples 

More towards the Moral Sense. The movie shows more of the things you should not want to do. For example: Vincent and Jules took Marvin from the apartment after they broke into then where heading out. They were casually driving down the main road and Vincent accidently shot Marvin's Head off. It appeals to the moral sense because it shows the people that raiding an apartment and kidnapping someone could lead to a messy situation. Another Example is when Butch ultimately went back to save Marcellus after he escaped from their capturers. It shows the people even though people do not always get along it is always good to save them from being harmed.

6. How "universal" is the film's theme? Explain 

Each person may have a different idea to what Pulp Fiction's theme is because there are plenty of little stories in the movie. Violence and crime seem to be prevalent in today's day in age. Pulp Fiction shows people what is the difficult side of using Violence. The movie's theme still holds up today because it shows somewhat graphic violence and crimes as well as shows how people deal with what they just did.

7. Explain the significance of the title using specific examples from the film 

Pulp was meaning the paper the popular crime novels and the pulp magazines that were written during the 20th century. There are magazines or novels shown everywhere referencing their key into the plot's development. There is one novel/magazine that gets brought up at least twice. Once when Vincent is in Butch's Bathroom and gets shot by Butch. The other time is when Vincent is in the bathroom at the diner. The novel/magazines are brought up frequently to put an even bigger emphasis on the fact that Marcellus, Vincent, Jules, and Butch have participated in illegal activities.

8. After reading the external review--which you were assigned to do BEFORE you watched your film, what specific observations or opinions caught your interest and why (give at least two)? 

What caught my attention was when the reviewer brought up on how Vincent's and Jules's conversation at the beginning while heading to the apartment started off talking about Royale with Cheese the suddenly change topic to a tenser topic of when someone got hurt due to them massaging Mia's, Marcellus's wife, feet. It caught my attention because it seemed like a natural conversation between two friends because more comfortable conversations tend to bounce around everywhere. Another thing is how the reviewer also brought up how the movie goes in and out of strict chronological order, but Honey Bunny and Pumpkin are at the beginning and the end of the movie. It stuck out because of the fact that the reviewer noticed that the "dialogue always knows exactly where it falls in the movie."

9. Provide a link to the review you read, as well as the name of the critic/reviewer (or a hard copy). 

Robert Ebert < https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-pulp-fiction-1994>

10. Did you agree or disagree with that review after watching the film? Why or Why not? Give at least two specific examples

Agree with the review because it gives the main plot summary and gives some of analytical thoughts of the reviewer. As the reviewer said the scene where Vincent brings Mia over to Lance's as she is ODing and they finally get her to regain consciousness again never failed to make the audience laugh. Especially since Lance's girlfriend says "trippy" after Mia awakens. I also agree with how it is noticeable there is not a chorological order but everything lines up where it is supposed to go.