Page 55 Check

Why should teachers be concerned about classrooms that are inclusive and equitable?

Students have different learning capabilities.

There are students who are not the same as most other students.

Each student has different cognitive styles/abilities.

Contrast "self-fulling prophecy" with the "sustaining expectation effect."

"Sustaining expectation effect," is the effect where the teacher is able to read their students and learns how students strengths and weakness' are and is able to work around the student. Does not hold any expectation nor will the expectation change.

"Self-fulling prophecy," and the crucial parts of how the teacher views student and how student views themselves.

Examples of teachers holding students on different expectations.

Students with higher expectations are chosen most often to answer in class while students with lower expectations are not chosen a ton.

Higher expectation students are expected to do well while lower expected students are basically told they are not going to do well.

Contrast traditional definition of IQ to Robert Sternberg and Howard Gardner.

IQ shows general intelligence. IQ s measured by mental age/actual age then multiplying by a hundred.

Robert Sternberg and Howard Gardner challenge the idea of IQ, of a general intelligence, they have been trying to test that people have more than one "intelligence." It could mean that we could/should be teaching students that we have analytical, creative, and practical learning abilities.

Why are concepts of cognitive learning styles important when thinking about diverse classrooms?

Field dependent:

There are people who look at things as one big thing rather than doing it in segments or seeing it in smaller pieces.

Field independent:

These students tend to see all the little things/parts of the whole idea.