Child and adolescent Psychology paper

Title: Education Barriers:Children With Disabilities

Human Rights Project:

There was plenty of information provided on the article posted on Human Rights Project. The article not only talked about a student in Lebanon but stated stats and facts about students with disabilities. One stat was brought up as: "90% of children with disabilities in low income and lower-middle income countries do not go to school." Human Rights Project mentioned how that there were about 5 percent of children have a disability under 14 years old. As well as 17.4 percent of Lebanese Children that are between 5 and 14 have a disabilities. Reality maybe that 45000 of Lebanese children of compulsory school age have a disabilities.

Five inspirational stories of disabled children learning:

Bridge talked about five (5) different students in third world, or poor areas. Each student had an obstacle, like a disabilities and difficulties hard to get to a school. One story that sticks out is the first story which is Adhiambo from Kenya. Adhiambo is a young girl who developed polio when she was a young child, which left her physically disabled. She became a child of sexual violence, which lead to her becoming a young parent. She became what she felt isolated because Adhiambo lived with her aunt who struggled to get Adhiambo to school, as well as, being a young parent with a physical disability. The DFID helped her get on her feet and start going to school. There are plenty more information on her story. Adhiambo is just one of millions of students who struggle with a disability.

Access to Education:

Australian Human Rights Commission made a list on how the education system lacks proper information, to parents, teachers, and even students. School systems do not have the proper equipment for those with a physical disabilities. For example lack of ramps to get into the school or up stairs or aids to see/hear. There are lack of propers materials with mental disabilities as well. There is a lack of sufficient staff, or those who know how to work with the students, and lack of student disabilities support systems. Parents tend to not try to get their children diagnosed or do not want to get the help their kid(s) need to succeed in school.

What Adults can do to get students involved in making a change:

Teachers and Parents can either inform themselves and teach the students/children as well as teaching the students on how to deal with the a student have a physical or mental disability. Children can also teach themselves but researching the information themselves and teach the class or others about ways to help those who could use the help. Teach the students on how to help their classmates because the student may not be able to get help by an aid or the teacher. Students are more likely follow those who they look up too. Teacher, especially, while in the school system should teach students to create a helpful environment for those who may struggle with everyday tasks and be willing to help up when the teacher/aid stepped away.

Work Cited

Admin. "Australian Human Rights Commission." What Is the Universal Declaration of Human Rights?, 14 Dec. 2012, www.humanrights.gov.au/publications/access-education-students-disability-barriers-and-difficulties.

"Five Inspirational Stories of Disabled Children Learning." Home |, 23 July 2018, www.bridgeinternationalacademies.com/five-inspirational-stories-of-disabled-children-learning/.

"'I Would Like to Go to School' | Barriers to Education for Children with Disabilities in Lebanon." Human Rights Watch, 2 Apr. 2018, www.hrw.org/report/2018/03/22/i-would-go-school/barriers-education-children-disabilities-lebanon#.