Thaluke - Connor Carter

"And stay the Hell away from our stuff!!!" I screamed to the thief, while I was hitting him with a baseball bat. What? You think I can do better? Probably, but I'm ashamed of the life I have, so I only steal to survive.

Want to know my name? Sorry, won't happen. Though, I'll give you a fake one, Connor, um... Carter. There, you can call me Connor Carter. Why the fake name? Because if I steal from you, you won't be able to send me to prison. Not that it would do any good, since one cares about the crimes anymore.

A little confused? Maybe lost? For starters, let me ask you... where the Hell have you been in the last year?!?

New York City had been witness of the arrival of a new powerful person. His name? Luke Castellan. He waltzed inside the big and powerful corporations and tore them down with a snap of his fingers. He took control of that. Also, it's said that he's a intimate of a powerful government person, who managed to make all the powerful men to step down and hand the presidencies to him.

Technically, I live in a new-found-tyranny, where they don't care about the people, you have to steal to survive, basically sending us to the stone ages.

No one has been able to bring them down, and a lot had tried!! The world I live in is scary, almost post-apocalyptic. People doesn't trust people anymore. We were forced into living into the building's basements, the subway's stations... Any place underground. Living in the outside world is dangerous, because there's this 'army' that keep things in control.

"C-Connor?" I heard my younger brother call me. I turned to him and wrapped him in a hug, reassuring him. He clung to me, shivering in fear.

"It's OK, Natey" I promised him, cooing him until he fall asleep.

~oOo~

I woke up in the morning, hearing murmurs around me. I instantly got in guard, grabbing my baseball bat next to me, but a hand stopped it.

I took a better look to my aggressor and saw it was a girl, maybe between seventeen and twenty years. Her hair was short spiky black, her skin was pale and her eyes were sky blue. She was dressed in black leather clothes. In her right hip, a shaft with a knife, while the left one had a sword. She had a quiver of arrows in her back and a bow in her free hand.

"What are you doing, punk?!" she hissed me, pushing the bat away. I didn't think and started to attack again "Stop it!!" she ordered me.

"Why should I?!" I questioned her, still attacking her. And she was still dodging it "A girl sucked my best friend's life!! I don't trust girls!!" I admitted. The girl looked perplex for a second, but stopped my bat.

"Empusai..." she whispered "No! He promised-"

"Who promised what?!" I asked, furious.

"Connor?" Nate called me. I turned to him, and he was baking away to the wall. I saw the girl looking at him too and I stepped between my brother and her.

"I won't hurt him" she said, leaving her bow in the floor. I snorted.

"Yeah, and I'm the ruler of this tyranny" I replied, sarcastically. She frowned and stared at me.

"You don't know what you're talking about" she gritted her teeth at me.

"Oh, really? Then, what are we living under, uh?" This girl was making me angry by the minute, acting like I didn't understand what happened or why I was living like this "One minute, I was at home after school, and the next, I'm watching how people broke into my house and- and killed my parents" I whispered the last part. I felt Nate's body pressed against my leg, hugging tight "I have to steal to keep him feed, I have to kill to keep him protect, I have to hide to keep him safe... So, enlighten me. What are we living under?!" I repeated, getting out my frustration.