Percabeth New Year's - Marty Dixon

Frustration.

Disappoinment.

And anger. Yep, anger.

Those are a few of the feelings That are running through my chest and brain at this specific moment. In another time, I'd never mind this fact. But the fact is, that I was left alone, in a hospital, with the night shift on New Year's Eve, while all the rest of my colleagues and classmates are God knows where, celebrating the New Year. Probably, at the parade and celebration. While I rot here, looking around and doing nothing.

I guess I shouldn't complain much. I mean, when I started studying medicine, I knew that there were gonna be solitary nights like this one. I guess that I'm only complaining about the bad judgement on my picking friends/colleagues. Besides... who leaves a fourth year medicine student alone during his first night shift?! See where I'm heading with this?

I looked at the clock. 10:30. By now, half the city is already eating a fabulous dinner and I have to content with leftovers and a bending machine. Not that there's anything wrong with the fries...

"I'm serious, Percy!!" I heard someone yell through the hallway, while I was getting a snack. The hospital corridors were desert, which would amplify directly any conversation that's been held on the floor, more or less "You better calm down, or I'm maiming you podex all the way till New Year's!!" By now, I could identified the voice as female and the screams of pain. No one was around, so I hurried to place myself behind the counter. As soon as I did, a group of at least six people walked to me, with the exception of one, that was on a wheelchair.

The two leading the procession were a man and a woman, approximately not older than his forty years. They were wearing smiles and reached the counter fast.

"Hi, my daughter-in-law just broke her water..." Those were the words that actually set this whole thing in motion. I smiled at them and nodded, walking the other side and getting closer to the girl on the wheel chair. She had long curly blonde hair, that was slightly wet because of the effort and the pain, but didn't lessen her attractive. She was tan, and her eyes were screw shut in pain, clutching her hand around the armchair of the wheel chair and around the arm of another person. I imagine, the baby's Dad.

"Let me take you to a room-" I never managed to finish that sentence. I was pushed away by the newly Dad's arm. I took a good look at him. He was slightly tall, with messy raven hair and green eyes that were glaring at me. It was obvious to me that he was either strong and concern, but one thing was for sure, this man would be able to kill for his family.

"Don't. Touch. Her" he ordered at me. I raised my hands in defense, only to watch the most surprising interaction between him and he woman. She rolled her eyes and, releasing the wheelchair, grabbed a handful of clothes and pulled him closer.

"Perseus Jackson, you'll stop acting like an idiot and like an overprotective father right this instant or I swear Luke won't have a father to meet..." While is normal to hear women cursing and threatening their couples because of the pain and the anxiety and other factors, it was the tone of voice that was the scary part. The man, Perseus (who I assume is the same Percy from before), paled as if he had seen a ghost and let go of the wheelchair, taking a few steps behind for me to grab it. Warily, I grabbed the back of the wheelchair before dragging the woman towards one of the maternity rooms.

"See, Athena? You owe me" I heard the other couple of people that came in with the group. They also were reaching the forties, but they were more serious about the situation.

"Shut up, Poseidon" was the last thing I heard before taking the woman to the room. I saw her face contracting to pain and I gave her a serious look.

"How far apart are the contractions?"

"Every- every ten/seven minutes..." she replied, getting out of one at the moment. Nodding, I got her something more comfortable to wear, before poking my head outside.

"Can the ladies be of assistance?" Not even dead I'd be caught changing a female patient. I don't want any lawyer behind me later. The two women walk inside the room to help the mother-to-be while I talked to the men outside "Alright, so... You're the husband?" I pointed at the guy who stopped me from helping. He nodded "Well, your wife is doing great so far... You need to feel her form, because you're gonna wait here till your baby born ins New Year's-"

"How are you so sure the baby will be born in New Year's?" he questioned me, taking the form I gave him. I shrugged.

"Based in the contractions your wife is having, it's more likely to happen that way" I admitted. He nodded again (because he probably can't do much at the time, save from cursing and threatening) and walked into the room as soon as one of the women inside left "I'll be checking her in half an hour to determine if this will continue or not..." I decided to take a round around another floor, so they could get comfortable.

~oOo~

It was around 12:45 when I walked inside the pregnant woman's room for the fourth time and she told me that she changed her mind into having an epidural. That, and the fact that she was trashing around her bed and squeezing the life out of her husband's hand let me know she was ready.

"OK, Mrs. Jackson... It's gonna be time for you to push soon..."

"What?!" she looked at me as if I was insane. She was sweating around her face and anyone could see she was slightly scare "What- what about my doctor? I can't-"

"WiseGirl, relax-"

"Do not tell me to relax, Perseus! This is all your fault!!" she began to scare him, saying things she'll regret later. All the pregnant women say the same things.

"Mrs. Jackson, it's time!" I announced, seeing her fully dilated "Push!" She groaned and began to push, her eyes screw shut even more than before. I could barely contain my excitement, it was gonna be my first baby "Again!" She pushed agains and I could see the baby's head peaking out "Keep going, you're doing it great!!" I encouraged her.

"I- Percy, I can't do this..." she shook her head. Perseus quickly took the hint and kiss her forehead "I'm not gonna be a good mother-"

"Yes, you will! You're gonna be a terrific mother! You mother me!" he broke the tension with a joke. I smirked at these two dinamic.

"OK! i need to big pushes now!!" I ordered. I saw them making force together, one more for support than anything, but the baby was halfway out "One more, one more!!" By now, I was the most excited of the three people in the room. Soon, the room was filled with the crying of the baby, making the parents breath in reassurance. I showed them their little baby and they both started to cry "Would Dad do the honors?" I offered him a pair of scissors to cut the umbilical cordon. He did so and I took the baby to clean and measure while he walked out.

"LUKE IS HERE!!" his proclamation was heard over the New Year's fireworks. I chuckled at this irony of life.

Maybe working on New Year's Eve wasn't that bad...

----

HAPPY 2016!