The First Step

Cameron huffed as he sped through the woods.
In his arms was his 11-year-old son who buried his head in his neck.

"Papa...where are we going?", Danny asks worriedly.

"I don't know...but I do know we can't be around those monsters...", Cameron said glancing back at a couple of walkers snarling at them.

He ducked behind a tree stump and held his son close.
Cameron motioned at Danny to stay quiet.
Which wasn't a problem...
Danny had a speech impediment and hardly ever talked...but when he did talk Cameron would praise him with hugs and kisses.
Danny whimpered softly as Cameron took in his surroundings.

He quickly grabbed a rock and tossed it at a tree causing the walkers to change their attention to the rock.
Cameron breathed a sigh of relief and then got up with his son.

He walked further into the woods until he spotted a small campfire.
Cameron smiled seeing food and even a machete sitting on a bench.

He breathed a sigh of relief as he set Danny down on the bench and grabbed the machete.
"Papa...I'm starvin'...", Danny says motioning to his tummy.
Cameron smiled.

"Well let's hope papa can remember his way in the kitchen.", Cameron says getting to work.
Cameron gathered the small rations and whiffed up a quick meal for him and his son to share.
"eat up...", Cameron says, smiling at Danny.
Danny smiled back and Cameron ruffled his hair.

Suddenly...
Click
Cameron felt something against the back of his head.
"Don't try anything...", A husky voice says.

Cameron gulps as he puts his hands up.
" S-sorry sir...me and my son were hung-", Cameron was cut off by the man.

"shut the hell up! Stand up...", the man commands.

Cameron gulps as he slowly stands up.
"hm...you ain't no woman but your body sure as hell can pass for one...", The man says sizing Cameron up.
Cameron gulps as he looks down at his outfit.

The man then turns to Danny, who is hiding behind Cameron.
"I'm about to rape the shit out of your faggot daddy...then I'm gonna make you watch as I stab him to death and make you my bitch...how does that sound little buddy?", He says in a deep voice.

Danny whimpered desperately wanting to be held by his papa.
"I-I don't want my papa to die...", Danny let out.

The guy cackled and Cameron reached for the machete.
However he pointed the gun at Danny.
"how about I... jump the gun....and kill your sweet little boy...?", the man says.

Cameron drops the machete and the guy socks Cameron in the stomach.
"Agh!", Cameron yelps in pain.

Cameron falls on the ground and hears Danny's cry's as the man goes to pull down his pants.
Suddenly.
Bang!
Cameron felt a heavy body fall on him and he quickly pushed off the bloody corpse of the man that tried to rape him.

"Y'all alright?", a voice asks.
Cameron turns to see a nice looking sheriff with an Asian guy and a few others.

"Thank you so much! He could have killed us....I'm Cameron...", Cameron says.

"I'm Rick...that's Glenn...that's Dale and T-Dog...", Rick, the sheriff says.

"This is my son Danny...", Cameron says.
Danny looks up at the sheriff Rick smiles at him.

"Where's his mother?", Rick asks.

Cameron paused for a second.
He was the mother of Danny...the real question was: "Where's his daddy?"

"We got separated when this all happened... Rick, can I ask something? I know this might sound like a lot to ask but...Could me and my son by any chance...stay with your group? Or by any chance have some food...", Cameron says.