TWENTY FOUR

╔════•| ❆ |•════╗
December 25th
╚════•| ❆ |•════╝

"True friends are never apart. Maybe in distance, but never in heart."

—unknown

•| ❆ |•

Kelly POV

Today doesn't feel like Christmas. With only two hours left in the holiday, instead of opening gifts, I've been avoiding and overthinking ever since dinner.

I want to confront them, ask them why they felt the need to lie to me, but I can't. I'm too afraid of the answers I may receive. So, instead of demanding answers, I'm lying in bed watching Pretty Woman, like a coward.

I sigh, pausing the TV as I run a hand through my hair. What am I doing?

I need answers. I won't be able to rest tonight without knowing the truth. I'm tired of living in the dark.

I lift the comforter off my body and step into my slippers as I slide off my bed. However, before I can even walk to the door, a soft knock raps upon it followed by Imani's head peeking in. "Kelly?" she says hesitantly. "You up?"

Sitting back onto my bed, I turn on my lamp. "Um, yeah. Come...come in."

My eyes begin to burn, when Imani's full figure comes into view. I close them. Keep it together, Kelly.

Imani looks awkward as she stands by the door, no doubt debating on whether or not to approach me. She takes an awkward step towards me before balling her oversized shirt sleeves in her hands. "Can I um..." She glances at the bed. "Can I sit? I um...I want to talk."

I tilt my head slightly at her in curiosity before nodding. Reaching to move the pillows from the foot of the bed, I motion for her to have a seat.

Imani takes somewhat of a seat across from me, however she looks uncomfortable. I can tell that she's unsure if she should be here by the way her leg dangles off the edge of the bed, ready to take a step down and leave if things get out of hand.

She flashes me a close mouthed smile and moves a rogue pillow from behind her. Glancing back at the TV, she turns to me and smiles for real. "Pretty Woman?"

I nod, a small smile forming on my own face. "It's a classic."

She nods in agreement, and we both kind of just stare at each other for a moment before I break eye contact, opting to fiddle with the hem of my comforter instead. "Where's Ethan?" I ask, trying to break the tension.

"He's asleep." I glance up in time to see her scratch the back of her neck and look away. "It's been a long day, and he kind of just passed out."

"Oh."

"Yeah...I—"

"So, what did you want to talk to me about?" I blurt, my mind and body on edge. I'm dying to know what's going on in that mind of hers.

"Oh," she says, caught off guard by my bluntness. "Well, like I said, it's been a long day...and all I want is to go to sleep and for it to be over... but I can't. I can't sleep, because my mind won't stop racing...I can't stop thinking about...well, about you."