TWELVE

╔════•| ❆ |•════╗
December 18th
╚════•| ❆ |•════╝

"On the other side of resentment is freedom."

—unknown

•| ❆ |•

Imani POV

Darkness. Lots of darkness. Flashes of blue and purple light flicker in sync with the thumping of my heart as I blink with wide eyes, spinning slowly in a circle as take it all in. A particular beam of piercing white light, illuminates a wall seemingly pulsing to life with light every other second. Like a beacon, it calls to me. Gulping, I readjust my armor and fall against the wall.

With my back secure, I can finally relax. Loosening my grip on the bulky base of the plastic gun, I close my eyes and try desperately to slow my racing heart.

I hate laser tag.

I'm not good at it. I always end up getting shot and losing. It gives me terrible anxiety, and when me and my friends used to play it as kids, they'd always take it too seriously. If I would've known this was where we were going, I would've just stayed home. I had already been shot at least twelve times, and the counter on my gun told me I just had to wait this out five more minutes and then it would be over and we could go get pizza.

Pizza. I smile to myself. That sounds good right about now.

My eyes dart open when I hear it. Footsteps. Immediately on high alert, I clutch my gun for dear life, aiming it aimlessly into the darkness.

Light flashes revealing a silhouette and blue fluorescent armor comes into view.

I squeal, running away into the darkness, not stopping until I find an adequate place to hide. Two walls meet to form a perfect Imani sized corner, so I run to it, peering out into the blackness through the rectangular peep hole. Eerie music plays overhead as I watch, but see nothing.

I'm going to die. I swallow hard as the hairs on the back of my neck stand at attention. I can't shake the feeling that I'm being watched.

"Hey." Hands lightly touch my waist and I nearly jump out of my skin. I yelp before recognizing the voice and frowning.

"Ethan!" I say, turning and slapping his armored chest. "You nearly gave me a heart attack."

Blue beams momentarily illuminate his face and I catch a glimpse of a smile. "You having fun?" He leans his hands against the walls of my hiding spot and I gulp, backing slowly into the wall.

"No...um, not really," I say, tightening my grip on my gun. "I'm terrible at this game."

"You okay? You sound nervous," Ethan says, taking a step closer. Instinctively, I turn my body away slightly.

"We, um. We're not on the same team," I say.

Ethan laughs. "Imani, you really think I would shoot you? You're my girlfriend."

I shake my head. "Still, we're enemies right now. We shouldn't be seen together."

"We can't be seen together, huh?" I can hear the smirk in his voice as he steps a little closer to me. "Why does that sound so familiar?"

I smile, as his hand grips my waist again. Our armored chests touch as he brings his face close to mine. We've been together for a little over half a year, and his close proximity still gives me butterflies. My heart continues to thump hard in my chest, but for other reasons now as he brings his mouth to my neck and kisses me softly. Teasing me, he continues to paint kisses along my neck until his lips are millimeters away from my ear.