TWO

╔════•| ❆ |•════╗
August 9th
╚════•| ❆ |•════╝

"In my darkest hour, hope kissed my cheek and said 'everything will be okay.'"

-Faraway

•| ❆ |•

My phone blares to life, lighting up the darkness the moment I'm about to start The Vow.

I sigh, wiping my eyes on the sleeve of my shirt and answer my phone without looking. "Hello?"

"Hey Imani, it's me, Jordan."

I slowly sit up on the couch and tuck my hair behind my ear. "Jordan, hi. How've you been?"

Jordan and I have been talking more and more these days. Ever since the accident, he's been nothing but understanding. He's visited Kelly multiple times and everyone seems to really like him, including me.

His deep laugh rings through the phone. "Wow, that's funny, I was gonna ask you the same thing."

I smile as I fidget with my blanket. "Great minds think alike."

The line is quiet for a moment before he speaks again. "So, how are you?" His voice sounds sincere. "Last time we spoke, you were pretty shaken up."

I sigh, closing my eyes as I dip my head back.

Jordan and I have been speaking quite often. He's a good listener, and I feel like it's easier to talk to him because I'm not as close to him and he's not as close to the situation.

"I've definitely seen better days."

Still, opening up to anyone is hard.

"What's wrong?"

I bite my bottom lip as I contemplate being honest with him. Puffing my bottom lip, I frown, feeling my breath hitch. "Everything."

There's rustling on the other line before he speaks. "Take a deep breath, Mani. Gather your thoughts."

I close my eyes and blow out my breath. "I don't know... For starters, everyone's gone. They're at the hospital with her and I'm home alone because I'm too much of a coward to face her... She was my best friend, Jordan, and every time I look at her it's like I'm staring at a stranger."

I begin to cry, and I hate myself for feeling so weak.

"Hey," he says softly, "Imani don't do that. Quit feeling sorry for yourself. Kelly's the victim right now, and you need to focus on being there for her. Just because she can't remember being your friend doesn't mean you have to stop being hers."

I like talking to Jordan because he always tells me the truth, even if it's something that's hard to hear. He's different in that way.

I wipe my eyes and sniff. "I know, you're right...it's just so hard."

His shuffling gets louder before I hear a door open and close. "Alright, enough of the tears. I'm on my way."

"Wait what?"

"Yeah. I was gonna go grab some lunch, but you sound like you need some company, so get dressed. I'm taking you out."

I sit with my mouth agape. "No, I-I can't-"

"Ah, ah, ah. It's not an option, plus I'm already in the car."

"Jordan," I whine.

"Imani, I'm not playing with you. You know you want to come. I'll be there in ten minutes." He hangs up before I can get in a response.