THREE

╔════•| ❆ |•════╗
August 9th
╚════•| ❆ |•════╝

"Sometimes only one person is missing, and the whole world seems depopulated."

-Alphonse De Lamartine

•| ❆ |•

Imani POV

My heart threatens to stop beating when I hear the garage door begin to open.

It's been about three hours since Ethan told me that they would be bringing Kelly home today, and I've been stress eating ever since.

What do I even say to her? I wouldn't know where to start.

The doorknob turns as I spread peanut butter onto my bread. I take a deep breath, and fight back the strong urge to frown.

Time seems to slow as the door opens. Mr. Price walks in, running a hand over his tired face. He gives me a small head nod and lets out a weary sigh as he leaves the kitchen without a word. I barely have time to register the bedroom door slam shut as Cheryl comes backing into the kitchen slowly.

"There you go Kelly, you got it. Nice and slow." She holds her hands out like she's ready to catch her at any minute.

"Mom, I'm fine." Kelly huffs as she hops inside on her crutches.

I hold my breath, hoping that if I'm quiet enough, they won't notice me.

Ethan comes in last, steadying her from behind with a sort of concentrated worry.

"You hungry, sweetie? I could make you some soup." Cheryl asks.

I frown. No. Kelly hates soup.

She crinkles her freckled nose and frowns. "Gross."

That's when it happens.

She looks at me, and her eyes light up in recognition. Suddenly, I'm full of hope that she might've remembered me after all. Time stands still as she looks at me and I look at her. I try to formulate a sentence, something witty or brilliant, but my mind draws a blank and she ends up speaking first anyway.

"Hey, it's Ethan's girlfriend!" She leans forward on her crutches. The thick cast on her leg scrapes the floor as she smiles warmly. "I'm sorry if I already asked you this, but would you mind telling me your name again? I don't wanna be rude and keep calling you Ethan's girlfriend."

It's like a bomb explodes in my chest. I look around at the others and they give me looks of sympathy.

I don't know why I expected her to remember me. I guess a small part of me just hoped that she'd see me, and it would trigger something in her. Like it would be that easy, if I wanted it badly enough. How foolish.

I squeeze the knife in my hand tightly. "It's Imani."

"Imani! Of course, now I remember." She turns to Cheryl once more. "Well, Imani here, has the right idea. A pb&j sounds great right about now."

She looks back at me and I place the two bread slides together. "Here. You can have mine," I say. "I wasn't really that hungry anyway."