FIFTEEN

╔════•| ❆ |•════╗
December 20th
╚════•| ❆ |•════╝

"Say yes. You'll figure it out afterward."

—Tina Fey

•| ❆ |•

Ethan POV

The shower turns off with a satisfying squeal as I turn the nob. Reaching for my towel, I wrap it around my body and step out onto the soft bath rug.

I've been in the shower for so long that all the hot water is gone, and I still haven't thought of anything remotely decent enough to say to Imani.

I hate the way she acted with me yesterday, but I hate the idea of not talking to her even more.

I squint as my wet hair drips water into my eyes and wrap my towel securely around my waist. Staring at the steam covered mirror, I glance at my partially visible reflection as I lean against the counter.

What am I going to do?

I wish they had a rule book for this sort of thing. Something along the lines of: What to do when your girlfriend's mad at you. Yeah, that'd be a bestseller.

The alert on my phone pulls me from my thoughts and I sigh, running my hand through my curls before picking up my phone.

Who emails at seven in the morning?  I'm about to toss my phone back onto the counter until I read the subject line.

University of  Washington Seattle Neonatal Internship Program Fin...

My heart races in my chest as I hurriedly click open the email. I push my hair out of my eyes as I read on.

Congratulations Ethan Price!

After review of your application, you have been selected as a finalist for the paid internship program at University of Washington, Seattle for Neonatal Sciences.

The opportunity to assist some of the best neonatal surgeons in the country and gain invaluable experience is almost yours.

A full explanation of the program details and further paperwork required can be accessed at the link below. Please let us know if you are still interested in this opportunity as intern spaces are limited.

washington.edu/neonatalsciences-internship-fin/

We hope to hear from you soon!

Best of luck, 

Paula Whittier

I read the email almost ten times before I cover my mouth to conceal my gasp of excitement. I drop my phone on the counter and bring my hands to my head as I revel in the surreality of it all.

I'd signed up for this program almost a year ago, and I never thought I would even be considered, let alone be a finalist. This program could be the launchpad of my career as a neonatal surgeon. I could literally learn from the best and get paid to do so. It's the opportunity of a lifetime.