THIRTY ONE

╔════•| ❆ |•════╗
January 1st
╚════•| ❆ |•════╝

"You don't know heartbreak until you're standing in front of the person you love more than anything, knowing it's time to say goodbye."

—Written-On-Polaroids

•| ❆ |•

Ethan POV

"Imani." I say her name again, loud, so I can hear it over my heavily beating heart. "What are you doing?"

Her eyes grow wide as she stands frozen in front of me. I raise a brow at her, and she falls apart, her bottom lip quivering as she tries to speak. "Ethan, I-I'm sorry...this wasn't how this was s-supposed to go—"

I feel the color drain from my face as I glance down at the letter in my hand, and back up at her glassy brown eyes. I shake my head slightly, refusing to accept the obvious. "Imani...how what was supposed to go?" I whisper, hoping there's another explanation, but the longer she stands in silence, the quicker I understand what's going on here.

Pain lives in my skin as I close my eyes and take a deep, shaky breath. "Imani...talk to me." I want to hear her say it.

I glare angrily at her, and my nostrils begin to flair as moisture comes to my eyes, but I refuse to cry. It can't be over... not yet. There's still so much we haven't done...

But, when a tear slips from her eye, and she breaks eye contact, I know it's too late. I look at the envelope in my hand and back at her bags and frown, verbalizing my suspicion. "You leaving me?" Please tell me I'm wrong...That I'm still asleep... That this isn't reality...

"Imani, answer me!" I shout, and she flinches and begins to weep openly in front of me. "Fine," I say, pursing my lips. "You don't wanna talk? Then let's read this." I begin to open her letter. "Let's read the words you wanted to leave for me—"

"Ethan stop," Imani cries.

"No, you stop." I shout over her and take a step closer. "Stop this...this nonsense. Don't bail on me."

Imani POV

I close me eyes tightly when I hear the pain in his voice, as the pain deep inside hits me in waves. "Ethan, I just... I just think we need to take a break for a while...Step back from everything and just reevaluate what we want—"

"What do you want? Huh? What?" he asks, dropping the letter to the ground as he grabs me forcefully. "Imani, I know what I want, because I have it in my hands right now, but you gotta tell me," he pleads desperately. "You gotta talk to me right now."

I close my eyes as his grip on me softens and he begins to stroke my arms softly. I feel my resolve begin to unravel. "I want you..." I whisper. "I want you, I do, but—"

"Then what's the issue?" He shakes me slightly out of frustration.

"M-Maybe if we would've met at the right time in our lives—"

"This is the right time, Imani. The only time that matters is now, and right now all I want is to be with you."

"I feel the same way, but—"

"Then why are you leaving me?" His voice cracks and I watch as he draws his eyebrows together in confusion.

"Ethan," I close my eyes, fighting back a new wave tears. "Please. Just stop... this isn't permanent. I just need time..."