SIXTEEN

╔════•| ❆ |•════╗
December 20th
╚════•| ❆ |•════╝

"They way they leave tells you everything."

—unknown

•| ❆ |•

Imani POV

I haven't spoken to Ethan since this morning and I've been doing everything I possibly can to take my mind off of the unrelenting ache growing in the pit of my stomach.

I gnaw on my thumbnail as I absentmindedly flip through channels on the TV. Settling on the news, I try my best to focus on the weather forecast for the week to no avail.

What did he mean, 'he actually had important things to do today'? What was he talking about? I'm not trying to be a super clingy girlfriend, but I feel like he should have at least told me what it was. He knows I'm a worrier and the fact that he didn't tell me leaves me slightly unsettled.

It's probably nothing, I try to reassure myself, but the longer I blankly stare at the TV screen, the more I'm beginning to think that maybe it isn't nothing. Maybe this is the beginning of a bigger problem between the two of us...

I run a hand through my braids and try to shake the thought from my head as I focus a little too hard on the TV screen. I tune in as the news anchor comments about a shooting that resulted in the death of a young boy. Pictures of him flash onto the screen and my heart lurches in my chest. He wasn't much younger than me.

A sadness washes over me as I realize that life is too short for petty arguments and placing blame. Things could always be much worse in my life. Hell, I could just as easily lose my life as that young man did today and what would I have to show for it? Life's way too short and way too precious to hold grudges...

I wipe the moisture from my eyes as Ethan walks into the living room and sits beside me.

I want to apologize to him right now. Suggest that we start fresh without all the drama, however he picks up the remote and changes the channel before I can speak.

"Hey," I mumble confused, " I was watching that."

Ethan leans back on the couch and crosses his leg over his knee. "I know."

"You know?" I blink confused.

What the hell?

When he doesn't respond, I turn my body towards his a little. "Well, did you at least hear what happened? It was so sad."

He shrugs as he flips through channels. "Sad shit happens all the time."

My mouth hangs open for a moment as I try and process what he's just said.

I can't believe something so insensitive just came out of his mouth. This is not the Ethan that I know.

Moments go by and I cross my arms over my chest, not quite sure what to say, and not trusting myself to act civil just yet.

I watch the show on TV for a moment when Ethan settles on a channel and let my thoughts sort of run rampid. After about ten minutes, I can't take it anymore and I ask the question that's been wracking my brain.

"So," I start, "you finished with that important thing yet?" My voice comes out a little more belligerent than intended, but I roll with it, nonchalantly kicking my feet onto the coffee table.

Ethan scoffs at my snide remark without looking away from the TV. "Imani, don't start."

"What?" I smile at his agitation. "I'm just asking a question."