THIRTY

╔════•| ❆ |•════╗
January 1st
╚════•| ❆ |•════╝

"There are plenty of ways to die, but only love can kill you and keep you alive to feel it."

—Leo Christopher

•| ❆ |•

Imani POV

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Ethan,

I hope that once you read this, I will be long gone, because I simply couldn't survive doing this face to face...

As much as it pains me to do this, I have to say goodbye.

I don't want you to think this is because I don't love you, because this is far from the truth.

Ethan, you are my love, my light, and my happiness, which is exactly why I am letting you go.

It would be selfish of me to hold onto you when you were never truly mine to begin with. Even though I am no longer with you, know that I am always rooting for you.

You will go on to do great things without me. I just know you will. Because you never needed me, not really. I guess what I'm trying to say is, you were great before you met me, and in my absence, you will continue to be great on your own. I believe in you more than you know.

It pains me to leave you, because it is the last thing I want to do, but I must do it, Ethan. You have to believe me when I say there's no other way.

So, don't come looking for me. Don't try and make a grand gesture to win me back. I know it's tempting, but it won't work. I'm telling you it won't... I've made up my mind.

You are and will remain my destiny.

I think that for now, it's best if the two of us focus on finding ourselves, so that one day—hopefully soon— we can find each other again.

I hope that one day we can meet again, under better circumstances, and hopefully you'll have found it in your heart to forgive me.

I love you forever,

—Mani

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My tears stain the paper as I wipe my eyes and frown. After placing the letter in it's envelope, I set it on my pillow.

I glance at Ethan as he sleeps peacefully and fight the urge to rip my letter to pieces and be selfish. Then I remember that this isn't about me...that I'm doing this for his own good. So, I kiss Ethan lightly on the cheek for the last time, freezing when he stirs slightly.

"I love you, baby," he mutters, before snoring softly once more. My heart shatters into a million pieces and I back away as my lip begins to quiver.

My phone vibrates in my hand, alerting me that my uber is around 20 minutes away, and I close my eyes, as I stand in the doorway, absolutely heartbroken.

I never wanted this for us, but I know in my heart that he would never not choose me. So I have to choose him for him.

Covering my mouth, I stifle a cry as I lean against the doorframe and catch my breath.

I touch my fingers to the necklace that Ethan gave me so long ago and wonder if I deserve to keep it. I shouldn't get to wear it if I'm the one who ends our story. This was supposed to symbolize Ethan's second chance at love, and I threw it all away...and yet, I can't find it in me to take it off.

I clutch the necklace in my hand as I close the bedroom door and bring my suitcase into the kitchen.

I check the time on my phone and figure I have about 15 minutes before I have to leave, so I search the cabinet for something quick to eat.

My heart drops to the floor when I hear him, and I still, praying that my ears are deceiving me. When I hear him whisper my name, I close my eyes, and turn slowly.

Eventually I open my eyes and Ethan stands before me, shirtless, sporting bedhead and a confused expression. He hasn't opened the letter, but he holds it in his hand. "Imani," he says my name again in disbelief, this time louder as notices my suitcase. "What...what's going on? What is this?" He laughs hysterically as he holds up the letter. "What is this, some kind of joke?"

✎﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

A/N:

Thoughts on Imani's letter? What would you have done?

I hope you all are having a great day!

Until next time,

—Kay♡

Winter [Completed]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें