THIRTEEN

╔════•| ❆ |•════╗
December 19th
╚════•| ❆ |•════╝

"Anger doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything."

—unknown

•| ❆ |•

Imani POV

I tried to be patient and understand when Ethan canceled our breakfast plans to hang out with Kelly, but I can't help the part of me that's jealous.

This isn't the first time since we've been here that Ethan's blown me off for Kelly. I'm starting to feel like his second choice and it's driving me crazy. I don't want to be that high-maintenance girlfriend, but I deserve a little attention, right? Especially under the circumstances.

I pull my braids into a low ponytail as I walk down the stairs, the wood slightly cold on my bare feet. The first thing I notice when I walk into the kitchen is Kelly and Ethan sitting at the kitchen table, engaged in intense conversation. I fight the urge to roll my eyes and smile as I approach them. When I reach the table, they immediately stop talking and look up at me expectantly.

I shift on my feet as I grip the chair in front of me. "Um, hey guys. What are y'all talking about?"

"Nothing," Kelly responds curtly.

Ethan frowns at her before ignoring my question and smiling. "Hey, babe. I was wondering when you'd be up."

I've been up for hours. Not that you'd notice. I internally roll my eyes as he stands and kisses my cheek.

"Come have a seat." He says, patting the seat next to him as he sits back down.

I feel my smile waning as I continue to stand there. "I-I don't know. I don't want to interrupt your conversation."

"Too late," Kelly mumbles under her breath.

I cock my head at her. "What?"

Kelly smiles politely. "I said, it's okay."

Yeah, right.

I nod slowly turning my attention back to Ethan. "Thanks for the offer, but I was just grabbing a quick snack. I'm watching a movie upstairs and I got hungry," I lie.

Ethan looks slightly disappointed, but he smiles anyway. "Oh, okay. Me and Kelly were almost finished talking. I can come watch it with you if you want."

Shaking my head, I place a reassuring hand on his shoulder and smile. "It's okay, I'm almost finished with it anyways."

Ethan nods, eyes trained on the table as he fiddles with the table cloth.

"But, hey, maybe we can get lunch after if you're not doing anything."

He looks up at me with a smile. "Yeah—"

"Actually, Ethan and I were going to go over my memory exercises after this."

"Oh, yeah." Ethan frowns. "I completely forgot about that. Sorry, Mani."