TWENTY

╔════•| ❆ |•════╗
December 23rd
╚════•| ❆ |•════╝

"The mind will not always remember exactly what happened, but the heart will always remember the feeling."

—Brigitte Nicole

•| ❆ |•

Ethan POV

I take a bite of my burger and close my eyes as the magnificent taste fills my mouth. I hum with delight as I finish my first bite of the best food that Foxy's diner has to offer. This right here is peace.

"Oh, I've missed this place," I say in between bites.

I haven't been to Foxy's since the summer and I've been craving their burgers all week. So, when Kelly invited Imani and I out, I agreed without hesitation. Besides, I've been worried about Kelly since what happened at the pool yesterday. She said she was okay, but she seems a little off.

Who are you? I don't know if Imani heard it, but I definitely did. I heard it, and it scares me because it means she knows. I knew we were going to have to tell her eventually but I didn't expect her to start remembering things so soon.

Imani chuckles at me as she sips her lemonade, and I shake my thoughts away, flashing her a meek smile. I glance across the table at Kelly at the same moment she tries to hide her judgy 'I'm a vegetarian face'. Instead of saying anything, she scrunches her nose and dips her pita bread into her hummus.

Jordan takes a bite of his burger and nods. "This is definitely a good first impression. Thanks again for the burger suggestion, Ethan."

Wiping my mouth with a napkin, I nod. "No problem, bro."

I don't like Jordan. I don't trust his intentions with my girlfriend, and I don't really like him hanging around my sister. However, I know he's not going away anytime soon, so I might as well at least try to be cordial. That being said, I can't trust a guy who willingly puts mushrooms on a burger. It's just not natural.

My phone vibrates in my pocket and I pull it out as the others start up conversation. I stare at the ten digits blankly as it rings in my hand. My heart thumps harder in my chest.

An unknown number. It could be the internship.

I swallow hard as I stand. "Um, guys I gotta take this." My voice breaks and I mentally curse myself as I leave the area without waiting for their response.

When I step through the diner doors, the cold air hits me in the face along with a realization.

This could really be the internship. If it is, then it could only mean good things, right? I mean, they don't call you to tell you bad news, do they?

I hadn't realized how much this internship could impact my life until now, and frankly I don't know if I want this to be the internship or not. If I advance, then I could be that much closer to becoming a neonatal surgeon. I'll be this much closer to being able to give thousands of babies the life that mine never got.

I want this. I want this so badly, but I can't help but feel guilty about it all. Sure, I signed up for this opportunity before I even knew Imani existed, but I still feel like I'm being sneaky by not telling her. I don't want to stress her if it turns out to be nothing, but I feel like somehow this internship was meant for me. Before me and Imani, I wanted this. I dreamed about an opportunity like this, and now that it's finally happening. I don't know... I just can't help but feel ungrateful for even contemplating it.