31. Atonement

The next day, Yukio explained his recent decision concerning Quantum and Eiji in the study room. Ryuichi and Yukito were also listening. If Eiji assumed additional responsibilities or be involved in new activities, the latter must be well-informed as well.

"Why didn't you discuss this with me before you decided? I'm happy that you trust me enough for this but what about you?" He was unhappy with the thought that Yukio was now empty-handed.

"I still have shares, I'll support you from behind. But between the two of us, I'd rather it be you to be on top of Quantum." He couldn't explain further. The truth was, aside from his desire to empower the other, there were two other reasons as well.

First, he wanted to focus on his new family now. Growing up with only depression and frustrations in his family made him want to cherish and do his best for what he and Ryuichi were building together.

Second, the heir of Quantum was the dead Yukio. He, the Yukio now with a different soul, took over everything. Although he didn't do it intentionally, he was still somehow guilty of taking all of what belonged to the deceased; his family, Eiji's loyalty and brotherly love, Ryuichi who had been the previous Yukio's love, all the comfort and riches under his name, and Quantum. He couldn't give up and turn his back on his mom, Eiji and Ryuichi but he certainly wanted to let go of as much riches as he could. Between him and Eiji, the latter should just have all of them.

"So my company needs to be acquired by Quantum."

"That will earn you some advantage in your entry to the organization." Ryuichi answered.

"Does he always need to go to the office?" Yukito asked. He didn't like that thought. Aside from his daily exercise, Eiji was also having therapies to be able to walk normally again.

"Not everyday. And if he does, not the whole day." Yukio understood the latter's concerns. He had also thought about this.

"Can I come with him?"

"Of course." He smiled. "He wouldn't have it any other way."

Without further ado, everything was laid out and set.

"Does Aunt... Aunt Ayako know?" Eiji asked the question that bothered him the most. Did the woman hate him to the point of not seeing him even once since he woke up from the surgery?

"She went back to your hometown. I heard there was an emergency in the family." Ryuichi nonchalantly replied. Such a lie didn't carry much effort. Besides, sooner or later, the two brothers would find out the truth. He just preferred them to find it out on their own.

Yukio frowned upon hearing it. He felt like Ryuichi was leading him into something with that obvious lie. But seeing that Eiji didn't react, he swallowed his words and kept quiet instead.

One week after Yukio resumed working as the corporation's CEO, he went to the office with Eiji and Yukito. The acquisition of Eiji's company was also quickly processed and a directors meeting was scheduled after lunch that day.

Eiji went into the conference room on a wheelchair being pushed by Yukito who was also wearing a black business suit. None of Eiji's charisma and professionalism was toned down by his current physical condition. He still looked as much of an executive as he was when he was completely healthy. He scanned the room to see the people present and just as his eyes went passed Rumi, he was surprised to see the person sitting next to the elegant woman.

Yukio came in last, followed by his secretary. Just like Eiji, he was surprised to see who was sitting beside Rumi.

"Ryuichi?" He mouthed the name in an almost inaudible sound and his brows furrowed. The one being looked at just smiled at him like nothing was out of ordinary.