SS.5 (Flashback): An 'Alpha' Omega

"Do you really like teaching?"

This was the third Saturday that they were meeting outside the school campus. Daniel had two classes early in the afternoon while Ale just met with him to have a bit of time together.

Just like this moment that they're eating lunch together, some things had already felt natural for them.

"Teaching, learning, researching, useful information excites me." Daniel smiled as he answered.

"But isn't it..." He was about to say 'not being compensated enough' knowing that teachers usually did so much work especially when they were being passionate with their job, but the salaries didn't give them justice at all. "...too tiring? I mean, you even work during weekends and when you go home, you still study and do a lot of things."

Weeks of consistently communicating with the young professor already made him well-aware of how the other lived, his routines, his likes and dislikes, and even his mood triggers, not that the man had many. He was so simple that the whole of him was so easy to memorize.

"You're already doing business at your age. Isn't it tiring?" There was a hint of laughter in his voice. Ale's face was like a transparent glass. You could clearly and instantly see the emotions and even the thoughts hidden in it. But, he appreciated the fact that the young man tried to be tactful. It was a trait that became noticeable these days and he liked it.

"Nope, I'm enjoying it. I love money, and I enjoy winning." He pushed his flourless orange cake closer to Daniel, inviting the latter. He knew that the Alpha didn't like any public display of affection. Straightforwardness could easily make him feel uncomfortable so he didn't dare to offer his food in his own fork.

"Same answer, I'm enjoying what I do." He didn't like sweets but this flourless orange cake was one of the things that he liked. His mood brightened a few notches more as he succumbed to the invitation.

"You really like that. You don't eat any cake that I order except for this one."

"Mm." He nodded. "When I was a kid, there was an old woman selling oranges very close to our apartment. My mom didn't have time to buy me anything whenever she came back from work but when she did, she always bought a few oranges. Because I liked it so much, I made sure I left some for the next day."

A claw scratched on Ale's heart. He couldn't understand this kind of longing. He always had more than what he wanted. All the more, speaking of oranges, their family had a total of 60 hectares of orange and lemon orchards in the southern part of the country. There was even a time in his childhood that a mere sight of these two citrus fruits could make him nauseous.

"What other fruits do you like?"

Daniel propped his chin in a pensive way before answering, "I've only eaten a few kinds but I like fruits in general."

"I like cakes and pastries." Ale grinned. He wasn't asked but... oh well, "So you can eat all the fruits and I'll eat all the cakes and pastries."

Daniel laughed at the other's childish idea. The Omega's way of thinking was always like this, clear and direct.

They stayed and chatted for almost an hour before they separated. Even if Ale wanted to tag along with Daniel, he unfortunately had so many things to do. He even needed to drive to the other city to check one of their warehouses.

Early in the morning of Monday, Ale was already standing outside the faculty room when Daniel arrived.

"Good morning!"

"Good morning." He opened the door and gestured the young man to follow him. This early, there was still no other professors inside so it was just the two of them.