SS.2 (Flashback): Stepping Down the Pedestal

It was already lunch break so Daniel decided to go back to the faculty room before heading to the cafeteria to eat. As he opened the door, he was immediately greeted by the sight of a giant bouquet of 25 red roses elegantly arranged in a very expensive-looking vase. Even the bugs in the deepest corners and edges of the faculty would be blinded by the extravagant display.

All of his co-professors were looking at him with excitement and curiosity. He sported his usual smile and seemingly unaffected, he walked towards his table. When he was already a few feet away, he saw a box of DeLafee chocolates flatly laid beside the vase. Daniel could just shake his head. He really didn't know whether to laugh or cry in this situation.

One of the other male professors could no longer keep it in and finally blurted, "It's just Mr. Kaiser's first week working here but look what we have here. We've never had this kind of excitement for so long!"

 "Hurry, hurry, see who's this obviously rich suitor and tell us!"

Another female professor quickly added to the fire, "Yes, come on, Mr. Kaiser, there must be a card in there!"

All the others cheered and were even eagerly straining their necks to have a good look.

Daniel didn't say anything but just calmly took the card that was inserted with the flowers and read the words written in it.

Date me. I like you. I like you very much.

No name. Not that he still needed to see it. He already knew who sent these 'terrifying' gifts.

"Who is it? Come on, who is it?"

"Must be very rich!"

All the spectators were in high spirits but they had nothing to quench their thirst with. Daniel just apologetically smiled at them and stuffed the card in his wallet before leaving the room again to have his lunch.

He wanted to leave the room the soonest he could. He wasn't used to this much attention thrown at him.  

At the midst of deliberating whether to give the flowers and chocolates back or just let them be, he noticed someone standing at the middle of the hallway, blocking him again.

"Do you like them?" The anticipation was so evident.

Daniel saw Ale cheekily smiling at him, eagerly waiting for his answer. The 'innocent' and childlike look on the other's face made it hard for him to say no and scold the Omega.

"Yes, thank you. But don't do this again."

"Why?" He walked towards the young professor. It was the first time that he got repeatedly rejected in just a very short span of time but surprisingly, there was no sign of his horrendous temper seeping out.

"Do you know how old I am?"

"Only 6 years older than me. Not a problem. I already know everything about you."

Daniel lightly nodded, this didn't surprise him even for a bit. 

He wasn't appalled by the other's enthusiasm as well. Maybe it was because he didn't have any expectations for the student actively pursuing him now nor had he spared a moment to calculate what the latter could do or could not do. So although what the other said sounded creepy and gave away a sense of being stalked, Daniel remained calm. He just patiently answered, "I can't be interested with you."

"Can't?" Ale repeated the word, trying to hide the raging determination that whatever it was that was causing that 'can't', he'd surely eliminate it in the surest, quickest way possible.

"Won't." He sighed and corrected himself.

"Give me a reason." Contrary to Ale's character, his words sounded more of a very rare begging rather than his usual demanding.