Chapter 21 - Dress Shopping

Bailey came over around lunchtime and they piled into the Range Rover and her Mom drove them an hour away to a special boutique Prom dress shop in Peoria. Jolie let Bailey have the front seat and she took the back middle where she could stretch her legs out.

On the way there Jolie's phone dinged and she looked down to see a text from Austin.

'Can u talk?'

'No I'm in the car on the way to go dress shopping for Homecoming with Mom & Bailey.'

'Ok. Make sure you pick out something sexy.'

Then he sent a winking emoji that made her smile.

'I'll try, but I make no guarantees.'

'Ok, well I've got football practice tonight but plz text me when u r back home so we can hang out.'

'Ok' she wrote back.

Then she decided to text Blaze.

'So how's it going?'

'I'm here at the farm hanging out with Jose and Jace. Everything's good.'

"So are you guys excited about going to your first formal dance?" her Mom asked.

"Yeah," Bailey smiled. "I'm really excited. I can't wait to get the dress and the makeover, plus I have a really hot date. I mean, I know Blaze doesn't like me like that or anything, and he's only taking me to be nice, but just getting to see what it feels like to be the pretty girl with the hot date for once will be like a dream come true. I never in a million years thought this would happen to me."

She turned to the backseat and said, "And I have Jolie to thank for all of this."

Jolie smiled and said, "Well you deserve it Bailey. You're such a sweetheart and I just wish more people knew that about you."

"Speaking of sweethearts, that was really nice of Blaze to agree to go to the dance with you," Jolie's Mom Stacy said.

"Yeah," Jolie agreed from the backseat. "He's a lot nicer than people give him credit for. He's actually a really good guy. He's just misunderstood."

Her Mom nodded. "Yeah, I think you might be right. He mowed the yard yesterday and changed the oil in my Range Rover without me even having to ask."

Jolie took a deep breath in and let it out. She wondered if Austin would have been willing to go to the dance with Bailey as a favor to her if she had asked him to? Her gut was telling her the answer was probably no. He was too worried about his status and what people thought of him to go to a dance with someone like her.

When they finally got to the dress shop it was a lot bigger than they thought it would be and they looked through racks and racks of dresses until they each had picked out several to try on.

Jolie tried on a light blue one with ruffles that just didn't feel like her and then a long red one that was sleeveless. It seemed like something more fit for the Prom. At Homecoming people usually wore short dresses. After trying on several more she found a beautiful light pink flowered lace dress that hugged her curves and felt sexy but still tasteful. It was perfect.

 It was perfect