Chapter 25 - Deciding to Tell the Truth

As Jolie was writing out her answer the teacher watched with curiosity and amusement at first, but as she continued writing, he stood up off of his desk and watched, his eyes widening and his mouth dropping open in amazement.

He stood there in shock, scratching his head and looking back down at his papers to double check the answer a couple times to make sure he read it right.

"That's right," he said under his breath, shaking his head in disbelief.

He looked out at the class and said,"That's actually right," loud enough for them to hear him this time. "Wow," he said, looking at her in awe as the whole class started to clap.

Jolie's face flushed red with embarrassment. She hated getting so much attention but she was proud that she got the answer right when it had taken a class of MIT math geniuses the same amount of time to figure it out. She walked back down the aisle, taking her seat next to Austin and he looked over at her with a smile.

"Wow. I don't know how I feel about my girlfriend being smarter than me," he laughed, putting his hand on top of hers.

There it was. He had called her his girlfriend and she sat there, wondering what she should say. Should she correct him? Should she just let it go and roll with it?

She didn't have a chance to say anything because the teacher interrupted their conversation by asking, "Jolie. We don't know you very well with you being so new here. What are your plans after high school, if you don't mind me asking?"

She cleared her throat and said, "I'm going to Harvard Law school and I plan to be a lawyer like my Dad."

"Hmmm. Well that's a shame. You could go to MIT and pursue mathematics if you wanted to. You've got a gift."

"Thanks," she nodded.

Math was one of those things she had always just been able to do and it was never a struggle. She didn't enjoy it enough to make a career out of it though.

For as long as she could remember she had wanted to be a lawyer. She had sat through so many trials with her Dad through the years and found it so interesting. He was the best defense attorney in the state of New York, but she didn't want to be anything like him. He helped rich assholes get away with crimes that he knew they were guilty of.

She wanted to be the opposite, a prosecutor. She wanted to help get guys like that convicted and put away. The thought of solving cases and getting bad guys convicted was what she found exciting and what she had always wanted to do.

The teacher walked over and handed out the prize money to her and Austin and her pile was bigger since she won the fifty dollars for solving the hardest problem.

"Let's give a round of applause to our winner, Jolie Watson!" the teacher said and the classroom clapped again, including Austin this time.

"Who knew a Mathematical genius could be so hot?" he whispered with a flirty smile and she shook her head and rolled her eyes, laughing.

That day at lunch Jolie took her usual seat at Austin's table but he wasn't there.

Chaz slid into the seat across from her. "Where's Austin? Hope he's not sick. We've got the big game tonight."

Jolie shook her head. "He's not sick. I'm sure he'll be ready for the game. He's really excited about it actually."

Chaz laughed and said, "I'm sure he's excited about winning that money too. From what I've heard tomorrow's gonna be the night."

She narrowed her eyes and said, "And who did you hear that from? From Austin?"

Chaz smirked and said, "Sorry doll. I can't reveal my sources. But did you know the pot of money to the guy that wins is now over fifteen grand? If the site doubles it like they said they would that's thirty large."