Chapter 30 - The Homecoming Dance

Jolie held her breath as Austin leaned his head down and her heart started beating faster. This was it. She was finally going to get her first kiss.

He moved in closer and she could smell the mint on his breath right before she felt his warm, soft lips press against hers and she closed her eyes. His hands on her waist pulled her against him closer and he turned his head to the side and kissed her deeper.

She finally pulled back from the kiss, feeling her cheeks flush red as she turned and saw everyone around watching them. She looked down and laughed awkwardly, feeling embarrassed.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"That was my first kiss," she whispered.

His eyebrows raised. "Oh shit. I forgot about that. So ....... was it how you thought your first kiss would be?"

She had been daydreaming about her first kiss since she was a little girl and she had always thought it would feel like fireworks going off or something big and grand. It really wasn't.

"Yeah," she lied. "It was perfect."

They continued slow dancing for a while and then she looked over and noticed Bailey and Blaze walking through the door arm in arm. His chiseled jaw line stood out even more with his hair slicked back and he looked so good in that suit that it made Jolie's stomach clench up and ache.

Bailey had left her red hair down and curled it and her makeup was flawless. In this light she looked even more amazing in that gold dress and she had the biggest smile on her face being on Blaze's arm. As much as Jolie hated to admit it, they really did look good together.

She watched as he took her hand and led her out to the dance floor and they started slow dancing together. Now every eye in the room was on them instead of her and Austin. She heard the girl in the couple next to them whisper, "Who's that girl dancing with Blaze?"

"I don't know. Never seen her before," the guy she was dancing with whispered.

Jolie thought it was funny that people didn't even recognize Bailey.

She looked back up into Austin's eyes and he was looking at hers too, studying her face.

"What are you thinking?" she asked.

A small smile spread across his face and he said, "I was just thinking about how lucky I am because I'm dancing with the most beautiful girl in this place."

She took a deep breath in and let it out before saying, "You know there are a lot more important things than being beautiful. Right?"

"Of course I do. You're not just beautiful. You're also the smartest girl I've ever met. You're even smarter than me which is pretty damn hard to do," he said laughing with his big white smile. "You're like my perfect match. You like to workout and run just like I do, and you try to eat healthy too so you don't try to force unhealthy foods on me. You worry about your grades just as much as I do so you'd be fine skipping a party to study with me and wouldn't make me feel guilty for not being fun enough like Mandy did. If I could have built the perfect girlfriend for me in a science lab you would literally be what I would've made."

She zoned out, lost in her thoughts.

He studied her face for a minute before asking, "What are you thinking?"

She blinked a couple times, coming out of the trance she was under before looking back up at him.

She hesitated before saying, "It's just that, you keep on calling me your girlfriend and telling people I am, but you never actually asked me to be. You just kind of assumed I was."