Chapter 16 - Austin Finds Out

"No, he's ummmm ........ he's actually moving in. He's gonna live here now," Jolie told him hesitantly.

Austin laughed. "Yeah right. Very funny," he said sarcastically. "What's really going on?"

She took a deep breath in and let it out. "Actually, I'm serious Austin. It's not safe for him and his little brother to live with their Dad because he's abusive and an alcoholic and an addict. Blaze needed a safe place to stay so he can get a legit job and fight to get custody of his brother."

"You're joking right?" he asked, pausing but she didn't say anything. "You can't be that gullible," he told her angrily. "Can't you see he's doing all of this to get closer to you just so he can get in your pants?" he yelled.

"That's not true and I'm not gullible at all!" she shouted. "It was MY idea for them to move in with us, not Blaze's!"

Austin scoffed. "Well then he tricked you and made you think it was all your idea, but I guarantee it was part of his plan all along. And you fell for it, hook, line and sinker."

Austin was starting to make her mad and she was getting tired of this conversation and this whole rivalry between these two guys.

"Whatever Austin. We can just agree to disagree then."

"I guess so. Wow," he said with a frustrated exhale.

She didn't like how Austin acted like he was her boss and how angry he got when she didn't do what he wanted.

"Listen, if we're gonna be friends you have to stop acting like you're my Dad and trying to control me. I know you're used to always getting what you want from girls, but that's not gonna happen with me, so you just need to stop."

There was silence for a few seconds before Austin finally let out a sigh and said, "Yeah, I guess you're right. I've been told I can get a little intense sometimes when things don't go my way."

"Yeah, you think?" she laughed.

He laughed too and then added, "I'm sorry."

Hearing him apologize made her smile and she said, "I forgive you. Just don't do it anymore and we'll be good."

"Okay. I promise I'll try. I'll give it my best shot at least."

That made her laugh. "That was a very half-ass, wishy-washy promise there Austin Fox. You're gonna have to do a lot better than that."

He laughed and said, "Okay fine. I promise. I'll stop trying to control your life. Happy now?"

"Very," she smiled.

There was silence between them for a minute before he said, "Man, I've still gotta get the math homework done. Did you do it yet?"

"Yeah, I got it done in study hall. You want me to send you the answers?"

"No, I was just making sure you didn't forget. I can do my own myself. If I'm gonna win our bet and become valedictorian, I'm gonna do it fair and square. I'm no cheater."

She laughed. "I didn't mean you couldn't do it yourself. I was just trying to be nice and help you out. I used to send my friends in New York the homework answers all the time."

He was quiet for a second before asking, "Do you still miss New York?"

She took a deep breath in and let it out. "Yeah, I miss it a lot," she said sadly."Especially my friends."