Chapter 14 - Asking Mom

"I'm saying I could ask and see what my Mom says. The worst that could happen is that she says no. I mean, it's worth a try. Right?" Jolie asked.

He took a deep breath in and let it out. "Don't get me wrong. I appreciate it. I really do. I just can't imagine your Mom wanting to take in two people she's never met before, especially one that's as fucked up as me."

"Well you've never met my Mom," she laughed. "There's nothing she loves more than a good project."

He laughed. "Did you seriously just call me a project?"

"To my Mom, everyone is a project," she smiled. "She's always had a talent for seeing the potential in people and what they could be. I wish I was more like her in that way actually."

She looked over into his eyes and said, "But you have to make me a deal. If I talk to her about you and your brother staying with us, you have to come back to school and put in some effort so you can graduate."

His smile slowly faded as he studied her face and he hesitated before asking, "Why are you doing all this Jolie?"

"What?" she asked with scrunched eyebrows.

"Why are you trying to help me? You don't even know me."

She shrugged and looked down. "Because it's the right thing to do. If I was in your situation, I would hope someone would help me out."

He sat there thinking for a second before saying, "Well thank you. It um, it means a lot."

"You're welcome," she nodded. "Now get up and get dressed because you're giving me a ride home and then you can meet my Mom before I ask her."

"We should probably take my car. The motorcycle might give her a bad first impression of me," he laughed. "Actually, you know what? Moms usually love me. It's the Dads I don't do so well with."

"Well you don't have to worry about that. My Dad's not around. You're not the only one with Daddy issues," she laughed.

She waited out in the hallway as Blaze took a shower and got dressed and then he led her outside to his car. It was an old black Trans Am that was a little rough, with some of the paint chipping off the front bumper and the interior was a little worn out in spots.

 It was an old black Trans Am that was a little rough, with some of the paint chipping off the front bumper and the interior was a little worn out in spots

"This car might look like a piece of shit now, but after I get it restored and fixed up I should be able to sell it for about fifty grand."

"So you like working on cars?" Jolie asked, getting into the passenger side.

"Yeah, When I have time, and the money to buy the parts I need."

He slid into the driver's seat and started the rumbling engine up before heading down the long driveway and out onto the road.