Winter Formal (Kennedy's POV)

Start from the beginning

Kennedy's eyes flew open. "You defused a bomb!"

Carter gave her a stern look that was only half convincing. "Eyes closed, this is delicate work."

"Yeah, the fate of the world lays on your steady hand now, not when you defused a bomb!"

Carter chuckled. Kennedy waited for the story, wanted to hear in what situation her mother would have to defuse a bomb. But it didn't come. Part of her knew it wouldn't. Stories of what her parents faced were rare and heavily redacted when they were told. Even though Kennedy knew it was for her own good, part of her couldn't help but want to know more.

"Look at me," her mother said, finishing the task.

Kennedy blinked and held herself from looking at her reflection so her mother would have the chance to observe her handy work.

"You're right, this totally does enhance the eyes I gave you."

Amused, Kennedy swiveled to the mirror, inspecting the result. She smiled, her eyes popping. As she was about to comment on her appearance, she heard a series of knocks on the front door and her father say something. Panicked, she jumped from her seat.

"I have to get dressed," she said.

"What's the rush, your father will keep Aaron entertained," Carter said.

Images of Aaron passing out from terror of what her father said flashed through Kennedy's mind. "That's exactly what I'm afraid of. The Commander will chew Aaron up leaving nothing for me to go to the dance with."

Before Carter could reassure her, Kennedy vanished into her parent's closet where she had stored her dress. Hurriedly, she unzipped her hoodie and left it on the floor followed by her sweatpants. She pulled her dress on and tried to close the zipper herself but with poor results. When she reappeared in the bathroom, she found her mother had cleared away the evidence of their time together.

"Can you help me?" she asked, spinning around.

The silky material of the dress encased Kennedy.

"Let's see," Carter said.

Even feeling pressed for time, Kennedy took a step back and held out her arms, letting her mother have the full view. The dress was a deep wine color that mixed well with Kennedy's almond skin.

"What do you think of the dress?" she asked.

Carter smiled. "You do look beautiful."

Kennedy laughed, her father had been right. "Dad said you would say that. He also explained how you feel about dresses."

Carter shrugged. "It's a complicated relationship." She waved her away. "Now hurry and get your shoes, it's been five minutes, you might still be able to save Aaron."

Remembering that her date was in peril, Kennedy scampered away. Snatching up her discarded clothes from the closet, Kennedy dumped them in her room and found the flats with the bows that matched her dress.

After sliding into them, she gave herself one more appraisal. A knot of nerves crowded her stomach and she took in a deep breath, trying to calm herself. Grabbing a small purse her grandmother had given her for her previous birthday, Kennedy walked into the living room.

When she spotted Aaron still conscious, she let out a sigh of relief. She still had a date.

"Kennedy will be out in a second," Carter said.

"I'm here," Kennedy said, rushing out of the hallway.

Aaron's whole countenance changed when he spotted her. His eyebrows went up and he flushed. Kennedy smiled at the unspoken compliment. She had to admit he looked pretty good himself. His black hair was unruly, but in a cute sort of way and the button-down shirt and slacks he wore fit well on his gangly frame.