Trials and Triumphs

Start from the beginning

    She was whisked to another time and place. Kanan and Hera were surrounded by stormtroopers. As she watched, Hera grabbed Kanan's hands. "I love you." She saw the words form on Hera's lips, but couldn't hear her say them. Kanan ignited his lightsaber and Hera drew her blaster. The stormtroopers opened fire. Kanan deflected blast after blast while Hera fired her own shots at the stormtroopers.

    A blast struck Kanan in the arm, disorienting him for a minute. "Hera!" Ania cried out. The Twi'lek fired a blast and suddenly convulsed as a shot hit her from behind. Ania began screaming again as multiple shots found their target. Hera's smoking body fell limply. Kanan must have sensed it. He whirled, face contorted in pain. With a roar he hurled his lightsaber in a semi circle, taking down several stormtroopers.

    Kanan gasped as a blaster rang out. He fell to his knees and crawled over to Hera, grabbing her limp hand in his own. The stormtrooper fired again and Kanan fell still, his hand still grasping Hera's.

    "Stop! Let me go! Please!" Ania screamed.

    "See and know," the voice hissed.

    "Daughter! Help me, please!"

    "She has no dominion here. It is just us."

    Ania tried to close her eyes again as Sabine and Zeb appeared. Sabine soared overhead, her jet pack humming to life. Zeb growled and fired at the approaching Mandalorians. Ania tried to call a warning to Sabine as one of the Mandalorians raised a blaster. His shot rocketed into Sabine's jetpack. The jetpack exploded in a wave of light, taking Sabine with it. Zeb roared and covered his eyes. A detonator rolled towards him. Zeb whirled and tried to run. One of the Mandalorians blasted him in the leg. Zeb collapsed on the ground just as the detonator went off.

    She hit the ground, drenched in sweat. Sand was already sticking to her bare arms. Ben and Tolsa leaned over her, anxiously. "What happened?" Ania lifted a hand to her face. Her cheeks were wet with tears and her head pounded. Her partially constructed lightsabers lay beside her.

    "You lost control," Ben said, kneeling beside her. "I recognize the presence that stole over you. It reminded me of the Son."

    "Did I say anything?"

    Tolsa shook her head. "As soon as your demeanor shifted, your lightsabers stopped building and fell. You started floating and crying. What did you see?"

    Ania inhaled sharply. The pained faces of her friends flashed through her memory. "I don't want to talk about it." A beeping began to draw her attention.

    "Your wrist comm has been beeping for a while," Tolsa pointed out.

    "I'm going to take a break." She stood and brushed some of the sand off. Ben took her lightsabers and the parts, stashing them in a box.

    "Back to work, Tolsa," he said as Ania walked off.

    She made her way quickly to the ship. Her wrist comm had been beeping on and off the entire way. Sure enough, when she stepped on board, the transmitter was flashing. Ania fell into her seat and switched it on. Ezra's hologram appeared.

    She raised an eyebrow, taking in the Imperial armor he wore. "What is it?" She brushed some more sand off. It clattered slightly as it hit the metal flooring.

    "Hera was captured days ago," Ezra began. Ania felt a sinking pit form in her stomach. "I couldn't contact you because the Empire found out how to trace our transmissions. I couldn't risk trying until now."