Trials and Triumphs

Ben had made Ania analyze the lightsaber diagrams again and again until she was certain she'd see them in her sleep. Ania spent a lot of free time sketching her new lightsabers and examining her old ones, determining what parts would have to be scrapped or modified to build the new blades. After a week of work, Tolsa still hadn't completed her own lightsaber.

Ania grabbed her hilts and stepped outside, following Ben over to Tolsa. Tolsa was deep in concentration. The parts of her lightsaber drifted around her. Ania said nothing as she sat down next to Tolsa. She was finally ready to build her own lightsabers. Ania set her mother's blades in front of her and closed her eyes.

She quickly dredged up the design the Force had shown her, as well as the diagrams from Ben. Ania began to focus, letting the Force pull apart her lightsabers. Different parts unscrewed and broke off until both lightsabers were floating in the air completely taken apart. Ania called up her design and began to reshape some of the metal, twisting other pieces and reforming the lightsabers. As she need pieces, they drifted out of Ben's collection and joined her parts in the air.

    Her eyes opened in the middle of a battle. A massive Imperial blockade surrounded Lothal. She flew past one of the Star Destroyers and caught a glimpse of Grand Admiral Thrawn through the bridge windows. The ship circled back, opening fire on several TIE's and doubling back for an attack on fuel cells. The comms were crackling and buzzing with activity.

    As she watched, an A-wing took a heavy blast and began falling to the planet's surface. She caught sight of the familiar orange and white droid trying desperately to restore power to the ship.

    The scene disappeared and another arose, but this time she was simply an onlooker. She again saw that Jedi knight engulfed in fire and a pilot and stormtrooper being thrown back into a transport.

    "See and know," a voice called out to her.

    "Know? Know what?"

    "This is the future," the voice hissed. "The future of your friends. Your future."

    She looked around desperately, but there was no one there. "What do you mean? That can't be,"

    "But it is!" A guttural cackle followed the words. "They will die, one by one. Each will be taken by the Empire. Each will come so close to victory. When they draw their last breath, they will curse your name, knowing it was your fault they failed."

    "No! I'm not even there! How can it be my fault?"

    "You're not there."

    "No! I won't let any of it happen!" She shouted.

    "You cannot stop fate. I could not stop mine and you will not be able to stop yours. They will die agonizingly and then," another laugh. "Oh and then, you will die. After you have lived long enough to suffer from knowing that you failed them."

    "No!" She collapsed to her knees, refusing to look at the scenes surrounding her.

    Phantom hands grabbed her face and forced her eyes open. Ania screamed at what she saw. Ahsoka faced Vader, white lightsabers flying to life. Ania screamed again, calling out to her mother. Ahsoka didn't hear. She flew at Vader, attacking him and dodging left and right. Vader began to gain ground, though, and forced her backwards into the lightning storm growing around them.

    Ahsoka plunged her lightsabers into the cracking ground, spreading the weakness even further. Vader roared in anger and slammed out a hand, halting Ahsoka in place. "No!" Ania screamed. The crimson blade pushed through Ahsoka's heart. Ania screamed until her throat was horse as Ahsoka fell forward, gone.