Stolen Thoughts (5)

This story features my character, Kein Rei, and Ruby, who belongs to ValarousDenivene . This is a collaborative story between the two of us, and it will span over a series of parts.

This is also the final part of this particular storyline. We may write some more stories for Ruby and Kein in the future, but nothing is decided for certain yet. We hope you all have enjoyed these stories!

Disclaimer: The artwork featured above is NOT mine. I found it on Pinterest. The original artist's name was unavailable.

Cantonica: 3 BBY
Grasslands
Ruby

    Ruby blinked her eyes open, somewhat confused. Something had woken her, but she didn't know what. She sat up and her gaze landed on a familiar jacket. Ruby picked up Kein's jacket and eyed it. It was the same one she'd stolen from him previously.

    She shrugged it on and stood. Ruby scrunched her forehead. Wait, where is he? She glanced around the cave. His blankets were still there, but none of his things were. Her eyes flew wide open and she sprinted out of the cave.

    The Scorpion was gone. Ruby lifted her hands to her montrals. "What is he doing?" She scanned the dark sky, but there was no sign of Kein's kom'rk. "That idiot!" She growled. "Tell me he's not going to Coruscant."

    She stood there a moment longer, then returned to the cave. Ruby grabbed her lightsaber and slid it into a satchel. She couldn't have it in sight, where she was going. The sun was just a sliver in the sky when she left the cave again. She hopped onto her speeder and started it up. Soon, she was flying across the grasslands.

    Frustration and concern pricked at her mind as she navigated through the tall grass. Why wouldn't he tell me he was leaving? He should've talked it over with me. We could've made a plan. He's going to get himself killed.

    She didn't stop at the outskirts of town as usual. She flew all the way to the casino. Ruby parked near the main entrance. The guards let her in without question. Everyone at the casino knew who she was by now. Ruby made her way inside and hopped into a lift.

    It stopped at one of the upper levels of the casino. She stepped out and headed towards an office. Ruby activated the buzzer. The door hissed open a moment later. The casino owner sat in a chair with a datapad in hand.

    "There's my latest star," he drawled. Ruslan set down his datapad. "What can I do for you, Sweetheart?"

    Ruby grimaced. I like it better when Kein says it. She wiped the expression of her face and smiled. "I have a favor to ask."

    "Well sure. What do you need?"

    "I need a ship. Preferably one that is small, fast, and untraceable."

    Ruslan raised an eyebrow. "You don't need much, do you? Why do you need a ship?"

    "I have some business off world and..."

    "Hey, now. You're not leaving me, are you? I've got you booked for a few more weeks worth of shows," Ruslan protested.

    Ruby resisted the urge to roll her eyes. She gave him a honeyed smile and batted her eyelashes. "Can you please help me out here? I won't be gone long, but this is important."

    "What's in it for me?"

    "I'll do two additional shows for free."

    Ruslan stroked his goatee for a minute, then nodded. "All right. This way." He led her towards his private landing pad. The door opened, revealing a small G8 Rigger Class Freighter. "Will this work?"