Markers Make A Tasty Snack

As soon as Evie left to go get food Mal began to grow upset as she missed Evie. Doug and the others noticing this began to talk to her and ask her questions trying to distract and entertain her until Evie came back. "Hey, Mal my names Doug," Doug told the tiny toddler that was currently sitting in his lap.

  Mal just looked at him as she was trying to decide whether or not she liked the strange boy that was holding her. Evie seemed to like him, but Mal just couldn't decide how she felt yet. Doug noticing her hesitation in him began to try and bond with her as she was his girlfriend's little sister and he wanted her to like him.

  "Hey Mal I like your purple sheet that you are wearing. I think it looks really cool," he told the girl not really understanding why she was wearing a sheet, but decided to play along with her hoping to get her to be comfortable with him. Mal looked offended by this as she screamed at him.

   "No It no seet it cape. I a supa hewo wike da supa weawars," she told him with a sassy attitude as she didn't like how he had called her superhero cape a sheet. Doug just stared at her as he didn't know what to do. He had tried to bond with her, but it seemed to only make things worse. As he had apparently said the wrong thing and now she was mad at him.

  "Um how about you go sit with Jay or Carlos. I bet they would love to hold you," he told her as he was giving up with trying to entertain the girl as he only seemed to make her more upset every time he tried. "NOOO! I wan Ebie. I no wike you! You meanie," Mal screamed at him as she began to throw another tantrum.

  "Way to go dude. You just made her cry again," Jay told Doug as he was upset at him for causing his little sister to cry again. "Me? I didn't even do anything she just started screaming," Doug told Jay as he didn't like how Jay was blaming him for the toddler just randomly deciding to get upset.

   Doug looked back at the line of people who were waiting to get food as he wanted for Evie to hurry back. He sighed when he realized that Evie still had a while to go before she would reach the front. He looked back at the screaming girl as he got an idea. He remembered how Mal liked to draw and he hoped that meant toddler Mal liked to draw too.

   He was glad that he had brought his bag with him as he always kept spare paper and markers in his bag. He pulled them out as he handed them to the toddler. Mal looked at them in confusion as she stopped throwing her tantrum. "Wha dat?" the small girl asked as she was trying to figure out what the weird color sticks were for.

   Doug and the others smiled at her adorable confused look as Lonnie answered the girl's question as she picked up a purple marker. "This is a marker Mal. You use it to draw and write see," she told the toddler as she used the marker to draw a smiley face causing the toddler to giggle as she reached for the marker in Lonnie's hand wanting to try it too "me tuwn Gib me."

   The older teens all sighed in relief as the markers and paper seemed to calm and distract the girl as she just made purple scribbles on the paper. Jay and Carlos couldn't help, but be amused by their little sister who had her concentrated face on while scribbling with a purple marker. It was funny to them to watch how serious she got as she scribbled on a piece of paper as though she was creating the best work of art instead of just a bunch of scribbles.

   The older teens began to talk amongst themselves as they barely paid attention to the toddler who they assumed was just quietly scribbling on a piece of paper. Mal however was no longer using the marker to draw as she was bored of that. She decided that she wanted to use the marker for something else as she was hungry and the marker looked like it would taste good. She was about to put the marker in her mouth when Evie had come back just in time and immediately grabbed the marker from her sister's hands.

  She also grabbed all the other markers as she noticed Mal trying to eat another marker. "Mal we don't eat markers," Evie scolded her little sister as she knew that markers could be dangerous if ingested, especially by a tiny two year old toddler. Mal just looked down in sadness as she didn't like being scolded. "I sowy," she told her older sister hoping that she would stop being mad at her. Evie just sighed as she looked at Mal. "Mal I'm not mad at you, but you need to know that we don't eat markers. That's dangerous Mal," Evie told the little girl as she picked her up and moved her attention from Mal to the teens especially her boyfriend who she had trusted.

  "Doug what is wrong with you? You can't just give her markers. These are dangerous especially this brand of markers as they aren't kid friendly markers. Were you even watching her because she almost ate these. Doug I trusted you to watch her and she almost ingested markers," Evie told her boyfriend in anger as she practically threw the markers at him. She had trusted him to watch her sister and he barely even watched her.

  Doug just stared at his clearly angry girlfriend as he tried to find a way to calm her down and explain himself to her. "Evie I..." Doug tried to say something as he was cut off by his pissed off girlfriend. "Save it Doug. I don't care what excuse you have. You can't just get distracted and not watch her when I trusted you to look after her while I got food," Evie told him with anger as she picked up her food and moved from her seat by Doug to the seat next to her brothers as she began to spoon feed Mal not even looking at Doug as she felt as though she couldn't trust him anymore.