FOURTEEN

⇥✰⇤
Take me away

"Mike? Are you there? Mike?" Nancy's voice came through the speaker of the walkie talkie, causing everyone to sit up quickly and look toward it.

"Is that Nancy?" Mavis asked as she rubbed her eyes after falling asleep on El's shoulder.

"Okay this is really weird," Dustin said as Lucas grabbed the walkie but Mike yanked it's away.

"Don't answer" he demanded as Lucas gave him a look of disbelief.

"She said it was an emergency!" the boy yelled as Mavis rolled her eyes at their bickering.

"What if it's a trap?" Mike questioned with wide eyes, causing Mavis to gasp loudly, getting everyone's attention.

"What if they are in Australia too?" she asked as Dustin groaned loudly.

"No one is in Australia, okay? No one!" he yelled at her, Mavis went to argue back but was cut short.

"What if the bad people kidnapped her? What if they are forcing her to say this?" Mike asked as the walkie went off again with Nancy begging him to answer.

"Like Lando... don't answer" Dustin added in, making El look to Mavis with an odd look as the brunette simply shook her head with a crazy look.

"Listen, kid this is the chief, if you're there pick up. We know you're in trouble and we know about the girl" Hopper's voice rang through the empty school bus as Mavis's eyes widened.

"Oh no no no, I'm in deep shit. Okay, everyone kiss me goodbye, seems like my last day of freedom" Mavis said dramatically as she threw her arms in the air and stood up quickly. El watched her worriedly as the short brunette walked around the bus and ran her hands through her curly hair.

"Why is she with the chief?" Lucas asked, ignoring Mavis's panic.

"How the hell does he know? Mavis! Calm down!" Dustin yelled as he looked at the girl.

"I can't calm down! This is gonna end badly for me, do you understand? You guys will get off easily, I won't!" she shouted as her breathing hitched.

"We can protect you, we can help you, but you gotta pick up. Are you there? Do you copy? Over" Hopper's voice rang again as Mavis breathing because very heavy and her face read nothing but fear. Mike looked to her as their eyes met, she knew what was coming. Mavis shook her head quickly as her own tears formed in her eyes before Mike sighed and gave her a sad look, holding down the button.

"Yes I copy, it's Mike. I'm here... we're here" Mike said as he looked at his friend with sad eyes as her tears fell and she went back to pacing again.

"I'm sorry, please don't be mad" Mike shoot up and ran to her side as she shook her head and held a finger out to him.

"No! No! You know what you were doing Mike! That's the chief of police for crying out loud! One last strike, does that ring a bell to you?!" she shouted at him as Mike sighed and grabbed ahold of her shaky arms.

"We're not gonna let them take you, I'm not gonna let them take you" he spoke sternly while squeezing her arms tighter. Mavis's breathing was still heavy but she softened slightly when he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her to sit in the seat with him. El watched Mike hold her close to him while comforting her with soft rubs to her back and casual whispers every now and then. Mike wouldn't admit it but he held her often, something her knew Mavis never got from her Mother and definitely not her father. Dustin paced around the bus like Mavis was moments before, but this time it drove Lucas mad.

"Will you stop pacing!" Lucas shouted at him with an annoyed look.

"It's been way too long, maybe this is all a trap and the bad men are coming to get us right now!" Dustin shouted as El looked to Mavis scared before the girl reached her free hand,that wasn't wrapped around Mike, to squeeze her colder one. Mavis never minded the cold, she loved it actually. Her hands were always so warm and hot, El found it comforting though.

"It's not a trap! Why would the chief set us up? Nancy.. maybe. But the chief?" Lucas asked in disbelief while Mike gave him a look at the mention of his sister.

"Lando" Dustin repeated, making Mavis groan loudly.

"Shut up about Lando, dude!" she yelled his way as his hands shot up in surrender.

"I don't feel good about this, I don't feel good about this!" Dustin yelled over and over as Lucas started to yell back.

"When do you feel good about anything?" he shouted at him in disbelief while Dustin began to pace again. Car noises caught their attention as they all ran to the window to see two Cadillacs pulling up.

"Shit" Dustin cursed as they all ran to the back, Mike pulling Mavis next to him as she did the same to El. Mavis wrapped her arms around El in a protective way, no way was she gonna let them take her without a fight.

"Think they saw us?" Lucas asked after Dustin went on about Lando again.

"Both of you shut up," Mike said as they all fell silent, attempting to stay as calm as possible. A man suddenly opened the door before he was hit in the head and knocked out. Hopper then appeared as he looked at the five with wide eyes and breaths. Mavis swallowed hard as she scanned his face for any sort of anger her way.

"Alright let's go," Hopper said as they all looked to Mavis before Hopper repeated himself.

"Let's go!" he shouted as El glared.

"Not taking her" the bald girl glared as he gave a weird look.

"We dragged her into it!" Mike then shouted as he looked at Mavis again.

"Said we'd kill her if she told a soul!" Dustin piped in while pointing a finger at the girl.

"What the hell are you talking about?" Hopper shouted annoyed as Lucas sighed and took a step forward.

"Please please please don't take Mavis away, she was just trying to protect us and El," Lucas said as he looked back to his friend while Hopper groaned.

"I'm not taking her anywhere, got that? Now I won't say it again, let's go!" he yelled as the group of friends all hurried after him out of the bus.

When they all arrived back at the Byers home, Nancy rushed out of the house and crushed Mike in a hug. Joyce and Jonathan stood by the door frame and looked at all the kids worriedly.

"I was so worried about you!" Nancy shouted to her confused brother.

"Yeah ugh me too?" Mike said even though it came it was more of a question. Nancy sighed and went to speak again before she looked to the girl that was connected to Mavis's hand.

"Is that my dress?"

•••••

if you guys didn't get it... mike loves on mavis because of her mommy issues and from her being so neglected.