SIX

⇥✰⇤
The Death Of Will Byers

"No adults.. just us and some meatloaf" Mike smiled as he walked down his basement stairs with the boys following. Mavis thought it was a good idea for her to stay downstairs with El instead of attending the dinner. El looked over at Dustin and Lucas in an odd way.

"Don't worry, I made them promise to not tell anyone about you" Mavis smiled at her while giving the two boys a knowing look.

"We would have never upset you if we knew you had superpowers" Dustin gushed as Mavis stifled a laugh.

"What Dustin is trying to say is that they were just scared earlier, that's all," Mike told El,who looked at Mavis for reassurance, making the wide-eyed girl nod with a small smile.

"We just wanted to find our friend" Lucas spoke to her in a much kinder and softer tone before a confused look spread across Els's face.

"Friend?" she asked confused as the boys gave an odd look.

"Yeah, friend... Will" Lucas spoke to her as if she was stupid, getting a punch in the calf from Mavis, making him jump on one leg in pain.

"What is a friend?" El asked in a soft voice that Mike swore up and down he saw Mavis's face softened up so much he was scared she'd pass out.

"Your voice is pretty," Mavis said suddenly as El turned to her and smiled slightly.

"Pretty," she said back with a small grin as Dustin's eyes widened and looked between the two.

"Um, a friend is-" Lucas began in an annoyed tone but was cut off.

"Is someone you'd do anything for." Mike said quickly making El listen closer.

"You lend cool stuff like comic books and trading cards" Dustin added in, his bright eyes sparkling at the thought.

"And give them a place to stay when they have nowhere else to go, make them feel safe and protect each other" Mavis spoke quickly as she nodded along with what Dustin was saying.

"And they never break a promise" Mike pointed out as Lucas jumped in.

"Especially when there's spit" he nodded at her as El looked to Mav then back to the taller boy.

"Spit?" she asked as Lucas nodded.

"A spit swear is were you never break your word, it's a bond," Lucas told her while spitting in his hand and grabbing Dustin, who held a look of disgust on his face, much like Mavis did.

"That's super important because friends tell each other things. Things parents don't know, or once didn't know" Mike said as he looked to Mavis, who gave him a soft smile as they joined hands quickly... he was letting her know he was still there.

"Mav you need to be careful, if your Mom so much as finds out you're spending so much time with a girl she'll-" Lucas began to rant in a whisper a few moments later when the four crowded together, but was cut off.

"She's usually shit-faced or going to visit my Dad, the only time she speaks to me is if I get in trouble and since El's been around, I haven't been" Mavis shook her head as Mike shrugged.

"I think it's sweet," he said as Lucas gave a weird look.

"Sweet? That a girl Mavis doesn't even know is keeping her in check, when non of us, who let me add in, have known her for years, couldn't?" Lucas asked with a raise of his eyebrow.

"Yeah it's like they have the force or something... do you feel a pull toward her? Is she making you feel that with her mind?" Dustin asked with wide eyes toward Mavis as the girl rolled her eyes.