Chapter 27

Trevor sat in the interrogation room with Owen and Shirley in front of him. Their heads were bowed and Shirley was crying quietly. He knew he had to approach this carefully or his feelings of anger and betrayal would lead him to kill them.

"Owen...please tell me why you did this? How you could do this to your Luna? To me? To your pack?"

"Alpha I am so sorry. I thought I was doing the right thing for you and the pack." He kept his head down as he spoke.

"Right thing! How does it benefit the pack to take away their Luna?! To take away my mate!" Max was trying to push forward. He wanted to rip them apart.

"Alpha please understand, at the time I thought she was human. I thought it would make our pack weak and incur the wrath of the King. I only wanted to keep her until after your birthday, when it would be too late. Then Daniel could take over as Alpha and you would still have your mate."

Trevor was livid. He slammed his fist on the table, making Shirley jump and cry harder. "How dare you speak of what's best for my pack! That is not your decision to make! You also tried to murder my third in command!"

Tears were starting to fall from Owen's eyes. "I'm sorry Alpha."

Trevor took a deep breath and turned to Shirley. "Why did you go along with this?"

"I wanted to tell you Alpha but I could not betray my mate."

Trevor had enough. "You both will stand trial for treason and attempted murder." He got up and walked out of the room. As he left he could hear Shirley's hysterical cries.

Trevor went upstairs to his bedroom. Alex was seated on the floor with Sammy. "Princess you need to get ready, the King will be here shortly."

Alex frowned at him. "And what am I to wear? All my clothes are at my house."

Trevor sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck. "I had your things brought over from your house." He closed his eyes waiting for the onslaught. After a couple of moments of quiet, he opened his eyes. Alex was looking at him without an expression on her face. She slowly stood and walked to him.

In a deathly quiet voice, she spoke. "I know now is not the time to yell at you but, make no mistake, I will be leaving here with all my belongings when the King is gone." Alex turned and walked to the closet to dress.

There was a knock at the door. Trevor sighed and went to open it. "Zoe, how can I help you?"

With the biggest smile she could muster, "I came to help the Luna get ready."

Alex came out of the closet looking flustered. "I don't have anything suitable to meet a King!"

"Hello Luna. I'm sure I have something that would work. I'll be right back."

"Thank you Zoe. You're the best."

"My pleasure Luna." Zoe bowed her head and went out.

Trevor turned and walked to the bathroom to shower. He turned the water as hot as he could stand and stood under the spray of water. Why do I keep making these stupid mistakes? I only want to protect her!

Because we want our mate with us. Max spoke up.

Trevor sighed and got out of the shower.

Alpha the Kings Guard has just entered our territory. They said the King is 30 minutes behind them.

Give them an escort to the pack house.

Yes alpha.

Trevor threw a towel around himself and hurried out of the bathroom to get dressed.