Chapter 5

"What do you mean she is your mate? That is impossible!" Daniel shouted.

"I caught her scent and my wolf started going crazy and began chanting mate! When I got closer I could also scent that she was human." Trevor said exasperated.

"Trevor...Alphas do not have humans as mates!"

"Don't you think I know that!"

"Don't worry man, we'll figure this out. Maybe there is something going on with her scent and she's not really human." Daniel sighed.

"Yeah...I thought of that, it could be a possibility. We need to go through all the books on mates to see what we can find."

"Books! Are you crazy? We have to go to the elders!" exclaimed Daniel.

"Elders! We can't go to the elders, can you imagine what they would do?! Take her prisoner or even kill her!" Trevor yelled. "We need to go through the books, if we don't find anything, we need to find someone we can trust that might know. What I have told you is confidential and it is not to leave this room, do you understand?"

"Is that a command?" Daniel asked with gritted teeth.

"Yes!" growled Trevor

********

I couldn't ask for a better day. The boat ride was so peaceful. Then Shirley made another amazing dinner and now here I sit again, in the swing, sipping a glass of wine watching the sunset. I could get used to this. Then Sammy had to ruin it by hopping on the swing and passing gas! "Oh my God Sammy! what did you eat?!" Of course he just gave me his doggie smile and ignored me.

I decided to get away from the smell and walk to the dock. The sun had almost completely set when I reached the end of the dock. Sammy, of course, right beside me. I closed my eyes and let my senses take in my surroundings. There was the sound of the water lapping at the shore, crickets chirping, frogs croaking and Sammy's heavy breathing. I sighed with contentment. I opened my eyes to watch the stars. The moon had just started to rise and it was shining off the lake. That's when I heard it...a howl. It gave me chills. Sammy started to growl. I jumped from the dock and ran into the house. I definitely did not want to become coyote food!

After a hot shower I decided to sit in the window seat of my room and read a book. It was a nice night, cool with a steady breeze. I opened the window to my left and made myself comfortable. I was about two chapters into my book when I heard a twig snap. I looked toward the woods on my right and didn't see anything, but when I looked to my left, there at the edge of the woods were two yellow eyes staring back at me! I could hear Sammy downstairs growling and barking, then the eyes disappeared. I scanned the tree line trying to find them again and nothing!

I took a few deep breaths and went downstairs to make him stop his racket. When I got to the kitchen he was scratching at the door, wanting out. I opened the door and he bolted for the woods. "Sammy! stop!"

My mind was a jumbled mess, should I run after him...no bad idea there are eyes in the woods...what if he gets hurt...but it is dark out there...but he is my baby...you've seen the movies, girl goes into the woods and girl gets killed...I have to do this, Sammy is all I have left. With that last thought I stepped out onto the porch. "Idiot you have no shoes!" I ran back in the house and up the stairs. I threw my sneakers on and ran back down to the kitchen. After searching nearly every drawer and cabinet I finally found a flashlight. Not wanting to lose my nerve I hurried to the porch and shut the door.

As soon as my foot left the last step and I was on the ground, my heart started to thump faster in my chest. I took a couple of tentative steps and switched on the flashlight. Breath in ...breath out. You can do this Alex, I mentally coached myself. With my head held high and my shoulders squared I walked towards the woods. The woods were quiet, then I realized I could no longer hear Sammy barking. It must of happened when I was giving myself the pep talk and I didn't notice. "Sammy?" It was almost a whisper. Stupid! Like he's gonna hear that...but the 'eyes' might hear too if I yell. "Alex get a grip on yourself! You're not going to find him standing here like an idiot!" Great! Now I'm talking to myself! I took one step forward and yelled with everything I had, "Saammyyy!" Nothing. Then I heard it, the sound of footsteps on fallen leaves. So I called out again. "Sammy come here baby!" I turned the flashlight in the direction I could hear the footsteps. The canopy of trees had blocked any moonlight, so I had to keep the beam at knee high in order to find him. I could hear footsteps getting closer and as they came into the beam of light it was not Sammy. There stood 2 blue jean clad legs with boots. Unfortunately for me the next few seconds were like a cliché. I screamed and turned to run, tripped and the flashlight went flying.