Chapter 2

Alex was rolling down I-70 with the windows down. She had her hair in a ponytail and the stray strands were blowing around her face. Alex looked in her mirror at Sammy. He was sitting happily on the backseat with his tongue hanging out, watching the passing cars. Alex had gotten Sammy the week after her grandmother passed away. She was feeling lonely and wanted a companion. Then she found him at the SPCA, the owners couldn't keep him because they were moving. Sammy is a pit bull, beautiful tan fur, cropped ears and golden-green eyes. She knew he was the one right away and she was right. He was a big ole teddy bear!

The GPS started chirping out instructions, so she knew she was getting close to Junction City. She had to meet with the lawyer and sign some papers, get to Walmart and make the drive out to Milford Lake. It was already 1pm and she was pushed for time. Alex started berating herself for making the stop at the outlet mall in Wichita.

Alex thought back to when she had opened the box. She just sat there for a full 5 mins with her mouth hanging open and muttering omg...omg...omg. Inside was a deed to a lake house, great-grandma's jewelry, a business card for a lawyer and papa's pocket watch. But what really got her going was the bank book, it was in her name and the register showed a balance of $500,000. Alex's mind seemed to be going 100mph...how?...when?...why?. "Where did Gran get all this money?" She whispered.

Hopefully the envelope would explain. As she had promised Gran, the envelope had not been opened yet. She planned on doing that as soon as she got to the lake.

********

"Good afternoon Ms.Rodgers, my name is Stewart Whitman." He greeted me with a huge smile.Showing off perfect teeth. "Pleasure to meet you." I said quietly.

"Have a seat and let's get started." I was intimidated by his presence and his office. There were bookshelves lining every wall, filled to the brim with law books. He sat regally in a plush leather chair behind a huge mahogany desk. As I sat in the upholstered chair in front of the desk, I felt small and that made me nervous.

"let's see." He said as he opened a thick folder. "I have some papers for you to sign and we need to go over a few things". I just nodded, not sure what to say. Once all the signing was done, he sat back in his chair and just looked at me with a small frown.

Then he began to relax as he spoke. "I knew your grandmother for a good many years. I am sorry to hear of her passing. It was her wish that everything remained confidential until you arrived here. I need to give you some details so you will know what to expect when you get to the house. All services are connected at the house. There is also a housekeeper and a caretaker. Shirley and Owen Hatch. They live on the property in a cottage that is part of the estate. If anything arises feel free to call me."

I, like an idiot, just smiled and nodded. I just kept thinking, I want to get out of here.

Then he reached in a drawer and handed me an envelope. It was addressed to me, in Gran's handwriting. "She sent this to me 2 months ago with instructions to give it to you when you arrived."

"Thank you Mr.Whitman, is there anything else?" I was so ready to leave and silently prayed he would say, no. To my relief that was all, we shook hands and I hurried out of his office.

With all my errands done I was finally on the road to the lake house. I could finally take a deep breath. Sammy was getting antsy and so was I, we have been in this car since 5am. "Turn left in 500 ft" the GPS chirped. I turned and started up the long drive to the house. The were trees along each side of the road. When I came around a curve in the road, there was the house. I had to stop the car I was so surprised.