chapter 14

Zoe knew she had a small window of opportunity to get downstairs and talk to Derek. The guards would change at noon. Everyone had lunch together before the new guards went down. She estimated she had 30 minutes to talk, then get back upstairs unnoticed. She finished helping prepare lunch, slipped out of the kitchen, hiding near the stairs. What seemed like hours but was only 10 minutes, the guards came upstairs. She waited a couple more minutes to make sure there were no stragglers and slipped downstairs. Derek was being held in the high security wing. When she looked into his cell, he was laying on the bed. Sweating, cussing and pulling at the collar around his neck. The collar was platinum, contrary to lore and popular books, silver could not harm them. However platinum made them weak and they could not shift, even a small contact was enough to immobilize you for a few minutes. Derek looked up at her, "Don't touch the bars they're platinum. What are you doing here?"

"We need to come up with a plan to get rid of her." Zoe scowled.

"Are you stupid?! Exactly how am I suppose to do anything locked in here?!" Derek yelled.

"I'm going to get you out."

********

I started down the stairs to the prison and stopped. I sniffed the air, Zoe? Why would Zoe be down here? When I tried to link her, she had the mate bond blocked. I continued down the stairs, promising myself to talk to her later. I needed to talk to Adrian.

I went down the hall to the vampire cells and slid my card in the security door, it beeped green and opened. Adrian was in the first cell. He was pacing when I walked up. "Finally! I have been down here forever! I want to speak to the council! Immediately!"

Daniel frowned at him. "First you need to answer some questions. The council may not be needed if we determine you should be put to death."

"I won't answer anything until I get some blood! It is against council law not to provide it to me!" Adrian yelled.

Daniel turned and went across the hall and opened a door. He took 2 blood bags,walked back across the hall and threw them into the cell. "Drink up. I have other business to attend to."

"You could of handed it to me mutt!" He retrieved the bags from the floor. It took him less than a minute to drain the bags. Adrian smiled and threw the bags back through the bars at Daniel. They landed at his feet. "Pity, I was aiming for your face."

Daniel looked at him with clenched teeth. "Alright leech, why did you drink from our Luna?"

"First, I did not know she was Luna. Second, when I first met her I could smell something sweet in her blood. I thought she could be my beloved. The only way to be sure was to taste her. I enthralled her in case she wasn't so she wouldn't remember the encounter." Adrian sighed. "There is something else you need to know." Daniel gave a slight nod and crossed his arms. "She smelled human but tasted like a wolf."

Daniel was stunned but he couldn't show it in front of him. "Why was Derek at your house and what plans did you have with him?"

"I did not invite him. He just showed up. Believe me, I did not want him there. I tried to get rid of him. He said that I should taste her and if she wasn't my beloved he would take her with him. Again, I did not know she was Luna, so I agreed."

"I will present your testimony to the Alpha and he will decide your fate." Daniel started to walk away.

"I formally request the council!" Adrian yelled, before he could leave.

Daniel looked back nodded and went out. Now he needed to talk to Derek.

Daniel turned down the hallway to the high security wing. When he went past the stairs, he again caught Zoe's scent. It was faint as if she had not been here in a while. As he proceeded down the hall the scent disappeared. He turned back picked up her faint scent and then went back down the hall. It disappeared as if she vanished from the spot. He would have to talk to her, right now he had to find out what Derek was up to.