Chapter 34

I walked into the restaurant with my bag hanging from my hand and my heels making the clink sound as I walked. I spotted Henrik seated at a table by the side of the restaurant, his head buried inside a magazine.

"Hey," I greeted when I arrived at the table. He looked up from the magazine with a few lines marring his face but they quickly disappeared the moment he set his eyes on me.

"Hey beautiful." He said and got on his feet immediately, landing me a kiss on my chin before pulling out a seat for me.

"Thank you," I said taking my seat.

"Hope I didn't keep you waiting?" I asked him knowing fully well that I did keep him waiting. It's been two months since he told me his story, and a few weeks since he asked me to be his girlfriend. I accepted after having a thorough thinking about it. I mean I couldn't just jump to be his girlfriend simply because he asked. I had to consider a lot of things and I couldn't deny the feelings I had suddenly developed for him, so I accepted.

"No, you didn't. Not when you're always doing the African timing." He replied with a little laugh which also made me laugh. 

"It's something you have to get used to." I said folding my napkin properly on my lap as the food he had ordered had just arrived.

"Trust me, I have. My step mom always made us wait for her whenever we were all going out." He said freely and for a moment I began to wonder if it was the same Henrik Wright I knew. I guess him pouring out his heart to me relieved him of a lot of weight he didn't know he carried.

"Speaking of mom's, I just got a call from home, my mom is requesting my presence on a very important message I suppose and so I'd be leaving to Nigeria soon." I said as I remembered the call I got last night.

"Well is everything okay with your family?" He asked a question I wasn't even sure of.

"Well...I... don't know, I don't really know, my family is not really the kind of family you'd wish you were born into. First things were good, you know fine and all that till my dad passed away. Apparently neither my dad's people nor my mom's supported their union. So when he died, his people, the community people his kinsmen asked my mom to perform a lot of traditional rites to prove that she didn't kill my dad. It was really bad...I remember she'd wake in the middle of the night and be asking herself why she didn't listen to her parents.

And to worsen it, her own people left her to her fate. Long story short, we were thrown out of the house my father built and we were forced to leave town and start a fresh my maternal relatives wanted nothing to do with us because well the fly that refused to listen follows the corpse to the grave.

My mom who was a complete housewife was forced to hustle to cater the children her husband left behind. That was a long time ago, and to be honest, we've been perfectly fine. It's not been easy but we've managed. So I don't get why out of nowhere, my dad's people would be seeking for a reconciliation." I concluded with a frown. I honestly didn't get it.

I got a call last night from my mom, telling me about how one of my dad's cousins ran into her and got very excited on seeing her and how she would love for the whole family to get back to each other and all that. My mom was speechless for a while, told her she'd think about it. All of a sudden, the whole umunna who had made sure my mom passed through hell during the mourning of my father came for reconciliation. Begging and asking for forgiveness and even went as far as saying that my late father had never allowed them to rest since they threw us away. Well my mom said she would have to wait till I returned before she would make any decision.

"Wow, that's a lot. We both have family issues and we act like all is fine." Henrik said taking a sip from his wine.

"Well, I am a better actor here. You didn't know until now. You on the other hand, showed your hatred from the moment you saw me." I teased.