Chapter 10

Hey guys how are we all doing?💃💃💃💃💃 How was the previous chapter??? I hope you enjoyed it? Okay, here is another chapter to enjoy so please share your thoughts on the comment section and please vote and share. Thanks 😘😘😘😘😘😘😘😘

Henrik's POV.

I drove to the office thinking a lot of what Care had told me, "she's not her Rick, not anyone of them is her," I closed my eyes as I felt my conscience working against me. I stepped out my car with a mental decision to apologise to my assistant.

Her empty desk was the first thing to greet me as I made to enter my office. I took a look at my wrist watch, it read 9:15 a.m I entered my office to start the day's work as it seemed she decided to resume late to get on my nerves.

I took a look at my clock for the second time since I stepped into my office and the time was well on it's way to noon and my secretary hadn't resumed work. It was certain so very certain that she intended to get me angry today. I picked up the receiver and dialled.

"Hello," the female's voice came through.

"Come to my office immediately," I ordered. Few minutes later, she came into my office with anger clearly written on her face.

"Where is Christiana?" I asked immediately without even exchanging pleasantries.

"I should be asking you that question Sir, where is my friend? She came to your house on your order to deliver some files and today she hasn't reported to work, so Sir where is she?" Mercy, Christiana's friend asked with so much anger in her eyes that I feared something had happened, worse still that she didn't know where her friend was and had not heard from her.

"Is that accusation I hear in your voice?" I asked leaning back to into my chair, daring her to say yes.

She lifted her shoulders high and looked away. The amount of pride this black people had sometimes made me wonder.

"Where is she?" I asked. She didn't answer and God knew I was losing my patience.

"Mercy Ikechi, I am going to ask you for the very last time, where is Christiana?" I asked clinching my fist to control the anger I felt.

She glared at me for what felt like forever before she sighed in defeat and started talking.

"She's sick, she called me through out last night and I didn't know why, I couldn't even pick up because the cold from last night didn't let me get up from my bed. I went to her house this morning and saw her sick, she's got cold and she was even running a temperature–"

"Did you take her to the hospital?" I cut her off because I couldn't bare to listen to her story.

"She didn't let me, I tried but she refused, I...," She sniffled, "she just asked me to tell you she wouldn't make it to work today." She concluded using her handkerchief to clean her eyes.

"And you waited to noon to tell me? You could have told me earlier on so that I'd make arrangements to replace her." I said closing my eyes in regret at the stupid things I said.

"What? Is that all you can say? You made her walk in the storm, she's got a cold right now and all you're concerned about is your work? What kind of a human being are you?" She yelled with so much pain and anger in her voice and once again my conscience pricked me but I'm not one to be ruled by my conscience.

"You know what? Henrik Wright, to hell with you!" She cursed and left banging my door so loudly and all I could think of was how dare she.

I sighed as I got up to stare into the world from my windows. The events of last night came to me. I knew I wasn't going to be around and yet I asked her to come I knew there was a storm ahead but I chose to keep her waiting.

"She's not her, Rick." Caroline's voice came through and I shut my eyes to silence her voice.

The rest of the day went quietly and quickly and stressful too seeing that I had to do everything myself.

---------------

The new week started with a certain kind of emotional presence or tension rather. It had been three days since that terrible storm and I still hadn't heard from Christiana, not that I couldn't call her but I just wanted to leave her be till Monday. I stepped out of the elevator and made to enter my office when I noticed her empty desk, it was rather too early so I didn't expect her to be at work yet.

I stood by my window few hours later as I watched my employees rush to work, she stepped out from a cab and came into the office building.

I stood still folding my arms when I heard her come in.

"Good morning Sir," she greeted with a very faint voice. I placed a hand on my chest as it ached with so much guilt. I didn't know why I felt so much guilt she wasn't the first employee to be at a receiving end so it really made me wonder.

"Is there anything you'd like me to do Sir?" She asked and again my heart ached.

"Why weren't you here on Friday?" I rather asked with a voice that concealed my emotional turbulence.

"I wasn't feeling well," she replied.

"And you didn't think it was wise to let me know?" I asked still having her face my back.

"I asked Mercy to tell you." She said with a very stern voice.

"Do you work for Mercy or do you work for me?" I asked and turned around to face her and the sight I met left me dumbfounded.

"I'm sorry Sir," she apologized and my heart ached again I exhaled slowly to reduce the aching. I moved away from my window and began to circle her.

"Did you go to the hospital?" I asked as I stood beside her, her hands holding my desk like her life depended on it.

"No Sir," she replied weakly.

"You are weak on a Monday morning when you had the entire weekend to take care of yourself, does that show responsibility?" I asked harshly, I know I shouldn't have but I had to.

"I..." She started to speak but couldn't as her hands slipped from the desk and she lost her balance and started to fall.

"Sir, I..." She started to talk when she saw my arms were the reason she didn't crash to the ground.

"Shhhh," I told her and took her away.

Okay, that's it guys, how did you see this chapter? Leave your comments on the comment section and please remember to vote and share 🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗 God bless you 🤗🤗🤗