Chapter 31

Christy's POV

I put the telephone down and got up to tell Henrik about the call I just made.

Knock knock

"Come in," he said not with his usual ordering voice, but with a warm voice. You see after I got my lawyer who happened to be my babe Stephanie, he has been a good boy. Plus I think he wants to really be my friend but I can't trust him can I now?

"Um.... Sir—"

"Henrik," he spoke suddenly, I squeezed my brows in confusion.

"I've told you, it's Henrik. I hate we've passed the boss–secretary relationship and you still call me Sir," He concluded looking at me directly into my eyes preventing me from rolling them.

"Okay I'm sorry, Henrik, I got a call from Pierre's assistant saying that the meeting is scheduled for later in the month, no longer on Friday,"

"Did she say why?" He asked.

"Erm... something about her boss not in town and not coming back anytime soon."

"Okay, I would have asked for his representative but erm...such things need to be done in person."

"Yes si- yes," I said and turned to leave when he called my name.

"It's lunch time, mind eating with me?" He asked. Now this isn't the first time he's asking me out and it definitely won't be the first time I'm turning him down.

"Listen I know it seems I'm being pushy but please just one lunch, that's all I'm asking."

"Um...sir," I started and I saw the way he exhaled nervously. Did I say something wrong? Oh! I said Sir!

"Henrik, I'm sorry I just have to call home and do a few things, I'm sorry," I said and made to leave again.

"Are you busy tonight?" He suddenly asked. Doesn't he ever give up?

"Henrik," I called dismissively,

"It's not a date, it's my parents anniversary today and of course a party is gonna hold and Dad wants you to be there," He concluded looking everywhere but at me.

"Your dad wants me to be there? Man that I have not seen in like forever? Only that time he interviewed me and hired me, and he wants me to be there? Please tell lies I can believe."

"I'm not lying he asked that you be there, he came by one of the days you resigned and asked of you, it seems like you've won a place in his heart because he was really furious." By now he had gotten up and was seated on his desk, opposite me.

"So he asked that you re-hire me?" I asked not knowing exactly how I was beginning to feel, here I was thinking he came because he wanted me back not knowing it was entirely his dad's idea. What am I even saying? Shey na the money way I dey find?

"I wanted you back I just needed someone to sound it loud for me." He said extending his hand to hold me. I stepped backward because I didn't know if it was history repeating itself to me.

"I'd... I'd think about it," I said and made to leave when he caught me

"When you do, save me the last dance," he said and winked releasing me to go.

*****

"So you say wetin happen?" Stephanie asked as she crossed her legs on my bed, holding her bowl of popcorn tightly looking at me. Stingy geh! The girls decided to do a slumber party and chose my house for it.

"I don tell you already na, you just like gist." I said and made to pull the popcorn from her.

"So have you decided?" Edwina asked as she opened my drawers one after the other looking for only God knows what.