26 - Won't End Well

Beginne am Anfang

"Skye knows about us. Chibs too." He bit his cheek. "I don't like not having anyone around to talk to about you. That there is no one I can tell how happy you make me, how much I love you and how much I miss you. Angel won't tell anyone else. Trust me, okay?"

Juice nodded slowly. "Yeah — you're right. I would go crazy if I hadn't Mouse to talk to." He ran his thumb across his bottom lip. "By the way, thank you for the poem. It was really sweet."

Raine winked. "Copied from internet all by myself."

Juice's lips curled up. "So much for the romance." He stuck out his tongue. 

"What? If I had to come up with a poem all by myself it would have taken me a week and I'm sure it would have consisted of two very cheesy lines. It doesn't hurt to borrow someone's talent. It doesn't make the words any less true."

Juice rubbed his hand across his mohawk. "I miss you. Ain't that stupid? We've been apart so many times."

But it was different now; there were more miles between them than ever and Raine was about to meddle in a gang war. He understood. 

"I miss you too." They had been forced to say goodbye too soon after his accident. They'd needed more time together. "But once I'm back, I'll take you to the arcade hall," he promised, thinking back to the time Juice described his perfect date. "And after that, we're going to watch your favorite movies. Naked."

"Well that sounds great," Angel's voice came from the doorway. Raine glared at him, annoyed that he had sneaked into the trailer so quietly. He returned his glance back to his phone and saw Juice's face pale. 

"You know the word privacy?" Raine wondered.

"Not in my own home," Angel smirked. "Now, show me your secret lover. Or isn't she wearing any clothes?"

Raine ignored him and looked at Juice. "I talk to you later."

Juice nodded. He didn't say a word, as if he was afraid that his voice wound betray him. He ended the call. 

Raine put the device away. 

Angel sat down at the end of his bed. "She a lil shy?"

"He. I'm dating a guy."

His friend stared at him, his eyes wide. "Huh? What... Serious? I didn't even know you were bisexual."

"Neither did I. Until I met him."

Angel seemed to need a few moments to let it sink in. "Wow. Okay. I get why it's all so mysterious then." He kept staring at Raine in disbelief. "A man? Damn — now I'm even more curious. How long are you together?"

"I met him about eight months ago. We were both stuck in an elevator in the hospital. After that day, I didn't see him in weeks until we ran into each other again. We tried to be friends for a couple of months, but both of us wanted more. Around six weeks ago we've decided to give our relationship a chance."

"Wow. This all sounds fucking serious man." Angel lifted the corner of his mouth, slapping his shoulder. "Well congrats! I can't wait to meet him! A guy who messes with my homie's head! Has to be a special one, huh?"

Raine bent his knee. "You already met him. At the fundraiser."

Angel frowned his eyebrows, thinking, ultimately pulling a face. "I saw you for only a couple of minutes. You were with that Son... who you knew from back in school."

He took a deep breath. He had to tell it now. "That wasn't entirely true." He hesitated, he wasn't sure what else to say so he just gave his friend a meaningful look. 

Angel jumped up. "Are you fucking serious Raine? A Son?  You fuckin' a Son?"

The volume of Angel's voice made him cringe. "If I wanted everyone to know I woulda told you about him in the clubhouse," he answered annoyed. 

Angel sighed, running a hand across his face. "Damn it brother. What do you think they're gonna do if they find out?"

Raine shrugged his shoulders. "Whatever it is, it will be worth it."

His friend stared at him, shaking his head. "This is makin' no sense! What's wrong with the rest of the male population? Why —"

"I love him." It sounded determined; like an undisputed fact. A little softer he repeated: "I love him, Ang, and I know he loves me too. We tried to ignore our feelings but they were too strong. This isn't just a fling, it's not a distraction. Even Rosa could see it. She made me make a promise that I wouldn't give up on him if I found out I truly loved him. And I do. God — I love that guy so fucking much. I would die for him."

Angel snorted. "Well maybe you will." He sighed deeply. A little gentler he added: "But love can't be stopped, as it seems. I wanna be happy for you, Raine." He bit his lip. "I really do. But I just can't see how this will end well."

Raine bent his head. "I know," he muttered. "I know, Ang. But I can't give him up. His love fills the void mom and Rosa left behind. I need it. I need him." He looked up, but he didn't feel ashamed of his words. "I need him more than I need the club."