Adventure #15: Part 1: A Walk Down Memory Lane

Start from the beginning

  "That's when I knew you were different because Bobby had never spoken about a girl like that. He said you were coming over the next day because you two were partnered for the Baby Project and were getting your baby the next day. He seemed so excited and I remember wondering what was so different about you than all the other girl he had brought home and told me he thought were hot and liked. I was ready to hate you."

  "But then the next day you come home with Bobby and I stood in the stairs as you two walked in. I still remember what you said. "You must be Lolly. I got something for you." And you took out a huge cherry lollipop from your school bag. "It's from my trip to Disneyland a week ago but I think you'll enjoy it more than I will from what your brother tells me. Want it?" And that's how you bought my friendship with candy. I'm just kidding. But the lollipop did help making me trust you and like you a bit. What really made me like you was when I asked Bobby if we weren't going to have our daily after school talk about our day and he looked at you and you said "Of course he is! Who am I to get between your bonding time? I'll just help your Mom make some snacks for the three of us and when you two are done we can eat them. Deal?" And that's when I knew you were different. Usually my brothers friends would give me something to shut me up and get rid of me but you didn't. You always found a way to include me in stuff and when Bobby and you finally started dating you treated me the same. I looked up to you because you treated me like your equal not a pesky little girl."

  I knelt down and touched the tombstone. "You'll always be the older sister I never had. I miss you." I placed the flowers down next to the tombstone. "I brought your favorites. The ones you said you liked that time you took me to the carnival. Remember?" Silence.

  I let the tears out and a sob escaped as well and then another. "Hope...I promise...I'll never forget you or everything we did and you did." I tried controlling my crying. "You were the best role model." I laughed. "Your parents say I'm way to much like you. Heck I even caused trouble at school for most of the same reasons you did. Because of you I am who I am right now and you helped me embrace myself and not care and just be who I want to be." I touched the tombstone once again. "I'll be back tomorrow to talk with you. I know you're here but I can't see you. Bye."

  I turned away from the tomb and started walking away when I saw someone standing by the trees then disappear. There was a gust of wind and I swear I heard someone say. "Bye Lolly. See you tomorrow!" And then a laugh. A very familiar laugh.

  I turned and looked at Hope's tomb and smiled.

-

  Bobby didn't return from visiting Hope until an hour after sunset. He looked terrible.

  I had taken a shower and changed into some warm pajamas since it was freezing. It looked like it was going to rain.

  "How are you?" I asked Bobby as I threw him a blanket.